Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

networking questions and problems

• Please log in to reply

stu_design

stu_design

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
ok let me spell out my problem

in my computer engineering class (high school), we are supposed to take a compuetr, rip it apart and put it back together. Im done that!! Next step is to install win98, done that. Now i have create a network!! now it gets confusing!!

to have internet on these computers we conenct them to our network cables, but say if i wanted to coneect to by fellow students computer thru my school network and cables, it says i need a password. I treid loginning in as guest but theres an error and i tried logining in as my normal school pass and id but to no abvail!!

plz help!!!!

stu_design

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Did you not take networking during your classtime?? If so, all you need is in your notes..

Murray

stu_design

stu_design

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
no we did not

the teacher does not know squat when it comes to computers. The school offered her the job because she was a student teacher there 2 months before. Our site admin and networking teacher moved to another school and she got the job so she tries to stay a cuple days ahead.

We figured out the problem since we are using the school wiring cat5 cables, and obviously their network, we had to log into my friends computer with our school ids and pass, all tehy and i have to do is make a shared folder and thru all the schools ppls ids(theirs a list of all ppl associated with thge network) and allow access based on ids

is therer any way of doing all these tedius steps or is this the way to go??

we got it working now but .... its just tedious

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Is this a workgroup or a domain? It sounds like a workgroup to me. If this is a workgroup, then you would need to have the same account for each user on each computer you want to log onto. For example if you wanted to be able to view all the files on every computer in lets say a 10 computer workgroup, then you would have to create the same account with the same password on all 10 computers (for each student), then you could sit at any computer and acess anything. All the computers also have to be members of the same workgroup. With a domain all the information is stored in Active Directory on the Server and you would only create 1 account on the server and you could access anything the server gives you permission to access. Hope this helps out. My advice... Upgrade to Windows XP Professional with a Windows 2003 server :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

stu_design

stu_design

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
thanks alot

wel try that

the upgrade to xp?
our computers wont handle it ithink
(Pentium One and Two)

Ok I know what an oooooolllllllld comp