Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to my internet, yet can get email....

• Please log in to reply

alicez

alicez

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Thursday night I noticed that I was unable to connect to any webpages, not even my homepage. I had not installed anything within the last 2 weeks (other than a new printer and that has already been removed to test if it is the culprit and it wasn't). I can open up and access my Outlook Express and download emails and send emails. BUT, when I attempt opening my IE, 1 of 2 things will happen:
I either end up getting a screen that says WEBPAGE COULD NOT BE FOUND, but the URL that shows up is http://ask.askredir................and many other words, letters, and #'s. OR it shows at the bottom of
the window this: "connecting to 64.8.70.102 and stays that way forever and never does connect.
I have done system restores going as far back as 1 month, and it comes up saying RESTORE INCOMPLETE cause nothing was added to the system to change it. I was on the phone with our internet provider techinicians today for over 2 hours, and nothing was resolved. They have told me to contact a computer repairman to find out what is happening, but with 8 children I cannot afford that. I need my computer to prepare for an upcoming craft show, but now cannot access the internet to do anything.
I am unable to download anything from the net to check my computer or scan it. I have Norton's Internet security, but it expired and I was unable to purchase the renewal. I have PC Doctor, but that shows nothing. I DID get a notice twice this week (before this happened) that said : spyware.marketscore has been detected. It said it was low risk and had been resolved, but it popped up multiple times during the day and night, 2 separate days (last one being the 27th), and that was the day before my computer started going flukey.
With not being able to access the net, what can I do to fix my computer? I AM currently on my husbands computer. His computer is hooked up as the main computer to the modem and router (high speed cablenet), and mine is connected also (this is NOT a wireless router). HIS IE works fine, yet mine doesn't.
HELP please. You all helped me before with the vundo virus, and the fujacks issue, and I trust your input, help, and knowledge!
Thanks.
Alice in SD

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
alicez,

It sounds possibly like your browser has been hijacked. Since you have access to your husband's PC, it would be possible to download some tools on there and transfer them to your PC using a USB drive, floppy, or whatever other means you may have. Since you've been helped before, you're probably somewhat familiar with the drill. :) Please go here and follow the directions. Since you can't connect to IE, you won't be able to run the online scans, but you can download MBAM, copy it to your USB/floppy, etc., and copy it to your computer to install and run it. You can also do this with Hijackthis, if MBAM doesn't take care of the problem. If you need to create a hijackthis log, please start a new topic in this forum, describing your problem and steps you've taken to resolve it.

Good luck! And bless you for having 8 kids - you have more patience than I! Two was enough for me. :)

sari