Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

linux on my pc

• Please log in to reply

utellme

utellme

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
i am new to linux and im trying to install ubuntu7.10 linux on my old compaq presario 5000. it loads up fine but once it get to that tan orange screen it does noting. can some tell me what the problem's mite be.

Edited by utellme, 31 May 2008 - 11:59 AM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
First the Presario 5000 is a catch all for a whole series of different computers with different hardware. Can you tell us more about your hardware and the actual model of the machine which is on the side or back of the machine?

utellme

utellme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
5000Z-5UVME2 (Internet PC)

*windows xp
o 751 MHz AMD Duron/Athlon Processor
o 10 GB IDE Hard Disk Drive
o 128 MB PC133 SDRAM
o nvidia geforce4 mx 420
o 4 x USB 1.1 Ports (2 Front, 2 Rear)
o unknown ether net card friend gave it to me
o 34x dvd-rw/cd-rw combo drive

Edited by utellme, 01 June 2008 - 01:28 AM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Much better, thank you. You don't have enough memory to run the full Ubuntu and your hard drive is too small to get the full install and have enough room left over to do anything. That machine would fairly prosper on Anti-x Mepis 7.2 or PCLinuxOS TinyMe or TinyFlux, those might be better choices. You can probably as much as quadruple the memory and use a much larger hard drive, so from 40gb to 120gb, without any trouble. The processor has pretty good speed and you would find it an acceptable machine for many uses. You would then be able to run some full installations without any problems.

trucker

trucker

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
if they wont work try puppy 4.0 ive got it installed on a p2 with 128 mb of ram works good and has synaptic package manager for installing new programs its very easy to use also