Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installation DVD not recognized

• Please log in to reply

Billybob24153

Billybob24153

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Newbie to forums, sorry if I'm not doing this right ! :)

Purchased Photoshop CS3 ext and when I went to install from the supplied DVD it failed to bring up the installation menu. A Win Explorer opened but showed no files, just the electronic label for the disk. After that, drive fails on all CDs and DVDs until after reboot. Upgraded XP to SP3, no help. Got a hot fix from MS but it says it's contained in SP. MS KB item 818733 is a good description of the problem. BTW if I put the DVD in my work's laptop, the menu comes up ok and I can browse the files.

I was able to get the Hotfix.
Got a readme and two files. Which do I run first and from what location? or will it cause more harm?

I note that the 5/26 date is when MS sent the fix and the 5/31 date is when I unpacked it?

05/31/2008 02:18 PM 268,576 Q818733_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe
05/26/2008 09:11 PM 58,144 Q818733_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU_Symbols.exe

Installation Instructions

=========================

1. If this hotfix was delivered with hfx.exe then it can be installed by running

hfx.exe from the appropriate platform directory.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sounds like your cd drive is the problem...is this a laptop or tower

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi ... Its worth looking at the website below and see if it helps

http://support.micro....com/kb/321641/

Billybob24153

Billybob24153

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the replys. I've been on the road since last week with little time and not with the failing system.

The failing drive is on a desktop, IBM ThinkCentre. The disk works on a IBM T60 with combo drive.

I briefly looked at the MS item snooker mentioned. I think I've done most of the suggestions but will revist.

Have rec'd a replacement DVD from Adobe, which I need to check out.

If that doesn't work, I think IBM will replace the drive.

Will update after I've tested the new disk.

Thanks.

Billybob24153

Billybob24153

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The replacement DVD from Adobe had the same problems so I went to a online chat with Microsoft support. 3 1/2 hours later, it was fixed. To make a long story short, there was an item in the startup that was causing the failure. Something to do with Drive Letter Access (DLA) tfswctrl ?? We removed that from the startup and the install menu came up when the disc was inserted in the drive.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks for letting us know... :)