Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer has stopped responding

• Please log in to reply

I love my vans

I love my vans

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I am currently working on a machine at work that keeps throwing an "Explorer has stopped resonding" error at me, it seems the machine on Vista Home Premium (x86) will run fine, if I am really patient I can get the machine to load certain apps, but then it locks up, causing the error.

The history is that this error was occuring, so I formatted the machine back to factory settings, it is continuing the cause the error.

I have tried the following tasks to try and fix the issue.

• Installed Vista SP1
  • Ran sfc /scannow
  • Attempted to install as many updates as possible (this crashes also)

I am currently running a chkdsk which will complete tomorrow morning when I get in.

I know this is one of those weird ones, as M$ do not give any decent error descriptors, I do not know if there is any conflict with any other siftware on the machine, I knoe OFfice 2007 is intalled, with a few other low level tools such as iPod video converters, DVD players etc.

Is their anything I can try to get this to work that I have not already mentioned, a response will be much appreciated, a speedy respinse will be blessed!

Many Thanks
Ben

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

I am currently working on a machine at work

Do you work at a repair shop?
Please explain this, as I am unwilling to help you if you are doing this for profit.

I love my vans

I love my vans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Thanks for your reply!

This particular machine in question belongs to a friend who works with me, I am repairing it on his behalf, but have reached a road block.

Edited by I love my vans, 31 May 2008 - 06:04 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
If you reformated back to factory settings and the issue is still occuring it is most likely a conflict with hardware, or a failing hard drive.
Have you checked that there is not a dust build up on the heatsink that could be causing a heat issue?

I love my vans

I love my vans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I have tried to run a HDD test, but cannot as there is an issue with SATA drivers, despite it booting into windows, I am currently running RAM tests just to confirm its working, no errors yet...

Thanks, ILMV

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Could you give me some information on the hard drive, and the machine in general?
I can try to find the drivers for the hard drive (this may be the issue)

I love my vans

I love my vans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
It is a Toshiba machine so I can only assume they use Toshiba drives, but I have seen Hitachi etc in the past, my friend has gone on a business trip, he has taken the machine with him until he gets back, so for now, I can do no more.

Thanks for your support so far... ILMV