Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do i need a new hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

hoopsman

hoopsman

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i am building a new computer over the summer, and only one thing is holding me back about presenting my final list, which is the hard drive. i was planning to use it in my new machine, but i have been having problems, like in linux it used to not be able to mount it, but now that is only with my external that i have that problem. on my windows partition, it is really slow, and sometimes i have to open 3 of the same program just so i can launch it. i also cant access some of my files, like i have a game that is in my windows folder that is from linux, but when i click on the archive nothing happens..... so my real question is if i need a new hard drive, because if i do, then it will be no problem as i will just add it to my pc list.
i really need to know pretty fast because i need to know how much it is all going to be.
thanks a lot

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What you describe here is probably the result of corrupt files for one of a million reason. The disk itself is probably OK, just needs reformatting which you should do anyway if you attach the disk to a new computer. By the way, what do you need Linux for? If you use windows anyway you lose the only benefit that Linux is having, more resistance to malware bugs (it's more resistant because so few people use it that the bug creators consider it not worthwhile to spend the efforts).

If you wish to test your hard disk you can download the test utility of the disk manufacturer, create a bootable CD and run a test independent of windows or linux.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
well the thing is that i just reinstalled windows and linux like 1 1/2 weeks ago, and im already having problems in both operating systems.i use linux because i had problems with windows before and a friend introduced me to it, but if you think running one os would be ideal, then i would be fine just running windows. i am going to install the diagnostic tool for windows right now and report back ASAP.
thanks

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i need to know what is going on. my windows os is extremely unstable, because i could barely get windows to open internet explorer without it freezing up, and it wouldnt open firefox or the setup for the hard drive diagnostic program. i would really appreciate some help and insight on to what is going on. my windows os is really unstable and i cant even open programs anymore. please someone tell me what is happening. btw, are these symtoms of a dying hard drive? this was happening like the second time i booted up windows after i whiped my hard drive and now my taskbar is completely frozen up, and the time has stopped. Also, my windows os is unstable, while my ubuntu partition works fine, but im not able to play games i used to be able to play, like trigger.

Edited by hoopsman, 31 May 2008 - 07:17 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Clear format your hard disk, reinstall windows, throw linux out and all will be fine.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
and your sure about this? that it will work? my friend is able to dual boot just fine.............

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you want to install linux again it's up to you.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
really all i want is just a stable system, so if to achive that, i have to just run windows, im fine with that. but do you think all these problems are due to my hard drive or what?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The Linux and Windows run completely separately except for the boot loader which is disabled when the operating system starts. If you have a problem in Windows you need to fix or reinstall Windows only. If you have a problem in Linux you only need to repair the Linux installation. I stopped running Windows because it slowed down over time too much to be usable, even though I didn't have any malware on the machine. All the added updates and the increasing malware scanning software just made it run slower and slower, even with frequent defrags and cleanups.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
so what exactly do you suggest i do, since i am a pc gamer and need windows, but i want a stable os. i havent even had windows on my hard drive for that long. what i really need to know is if i need a new hard drive, and if that would fix the problem, because as i said, i am building anew pc. getting a new hard drive would be no problem, but there is no reason to get a new one if the one i am running is just fine, you know what im saying? would it just be best to reinstall like the skeptic said, only keep windows, but get a new hard drive and do the same thing, leaving linux out?(sorry for all the questions)

Edited by hoopsman, 01 June 2008 - 11:55 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You plan to install the old disk in a new computer. I never do that without clear formatting the hard disk. From your first description I am sure that you have serious software problems which will be corrected by the format and reinstallation of XP. At worst, if I am wrong and there is a disk problem (which I am sure there isn't) your new installation will fail and then you will have to buy a new disk and reinstall. Not a big deal.

Regarding Linux: Like I said it's entirely up to you. Over 90% of humanity use Windows because of many reasons that I will not count here. Less then 10% are using Apple and Linux. If you wish to install Linux again, do it on a formatted hard disk.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i was definitely going to format my drive before i put it in my new pc, i just wanted to know if there was something wrong with it because of all the problems i have been having in windows. Last question. would it just be smart to only have windows, and not linux? i need a straight answer. thanx

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Yes. It will be very smart. Straight and subjective answer.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Thanks a lot for your help skeptic, it is greatly appreciated. :) i will reinstall windows now, with hopefully better results. thanks for all the help everybody!
hoopsman

Tech08

Tech08

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I think it might be because of registry errors and invalid files taking up space and slowing everything down. I have had a few problems because of that.... mostly because of getting rid of files the wrong way and what not... If the stuff on the HD is not that important I would try wiping the HD clean and reinstalling all and only the necessary components!!!