Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't get passed the XP loading screen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DonnieDoonerMe

DonnieDoonerMe

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have an eMachine T3302 system with XP.

When I start up it goes ot the XP loading screen with the scrolling blue bar thingy. THen it just stays on there forever.
I try to go on safe mode and then just restart it and that dont work. I looked on some other forums and it said my kernel32.dll file is bad er something. Is this true adn should I download it a replace the kernel file or what?

I need your help geeks please please please! i'll love you forever.

I'd like ot evoid a complete system restore since I like all files I have though most of my important stuff is on my backup hard drive. Oh and if i were to do a complete restore would it erase all my files on my other 250gigger? I can just remove that before I do anything if it does.

Anyways, yeah, I'd love this help. Thank You.

Advertisements

BudMarLeY

BudMarLeY

• Pip
  • 4 posts
this is why you should allways partition your drive and save all your important stuff in it.
and a system restore threw windows xp will not wipe ur hardrive but a format will which is what you will prolly have to do

BudMarLeY

BudMarLeY

• Pip
  • 4 posts
also if i have problems with windows and i need to pull off some important files i get on Slax or a linix type OS and pull off your stuff u want to save than do a complete format and reinstallation of windows

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hi there DonnieDoonerMe and welcome to geeks to go

What I would reccomend is instead of doing a format and re-installation I would do a full repair.

To do this load your cd into your cd drive and then boot off the cd, some pc's automatically detect booting off the cd, if yours does not when it boots up keep pressing F11 and a menu may appear and will ask you which hard drive, optical drive to boot, please note that this does vary from pc to pc as other ones I have seen use F8 although this is normally used to enter safe mode etc...

When your disk loads up to the welcome screen press enter and it will search for previous installations, when that has finished it will give you the chance to repair the installation, when you have told it to repair it will start repairing your installation and it will then reboot.

Upon reboot it will look like it is doing a full installation (don't worry) you will then be asked to choose all your regional and language settings and so on, then you will need to enter your licence key, once all this is done it will once again restart. When your system has restarted it will begin to load into windows xp and you can begin to setup your computer, if it asks to create a new account under NO circumstances create one as you will lose all your data, never ever create a new account if you are repairing an installation. When all that is done you will be able to login to your system :)

I would also like to add to BudMarLeY reply although I never believe in different partitions these can be very useful indeed, especially when stuff like this happens as what you can do is have your operating system on one partition and all your backups such as photos on another so incase you do need to format one day you can always have a backup of your important data, if you would like to partition your drive but are unsure please ask and we will be more than happy to help you :)

Once again welcome to geeks to go

DonnieDoonerMe

DonnieDoonerMe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sooo... am I gonna hafta use the eMachine System Recovery CD, the Restore DVD, or a Win XP cd? I don't have an XP cd. I already looked all around everywhere and all I have is the eMachine discs.

And thank you Geeks2Go seems like a very reliable compuiter help forum. I will come to this site more often.

...Actually I just realized in small print on the Recovery disc it says XP Home Edition but the restore says for Apps, Drivers and OS.

I'm guessing the recovery one is actually the one I do?

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hi there DonnieDoonerMe and thank you for your reply.

A Windows XP disc would of been better but if you only have the recovery cd then that would be the only way to go unfortuantly and you may lose all data when using this as from what I remember it takes your machine back to factory defaults so if you only have the recovery cd you will need to use that to get your system back up and running.

DonnieDoonerMe

DonnieDoonerMe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So even though Safe Mode works, there's no file I can replace or change or anything then?

How very uncool.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Thanks for your reply DonnieDoonerMe

What you can try is boot up your computer like you normally would do and keep pressing F8 till the safemode screen appears, when this appears select last known good configuration and press enter. This will startup with the most recent settings that that sucessfully booted up your system.

Please keep us informed on the state of this and we will help you as much as we can.

Thanks

Edited by wizzy2k5, 31 May 2008 - 06:18 PM.

DonnieDoonerMe

DonnieDoonerMe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeah I've tried that about 4 thousand times. Tried using safe mode a bunch of times. I guess you can say I'm ****ed and gotta restore the whoooole thing.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Thanks for your reply DonnieDoonerMe

I see in one of your replies you said safemode worked so boot back up in safemode and login to your system, if you can make a backup of all your important files then attempt a system restore, I know in your first post you wanted to avoid this and my-self I don't like doing this but it might help fix the problem that you are having.

If that doesn't work again boot back up into safemode and login under the administrator account, when you have logged in please goto user accounts and create a new user profile and delete the old one (make sure you have all data backed up before doing this) reason I am asking you to do this is because your current user profile maybe corrupt and this should rule that out. Once it has been created restart the machine.

If both of them fail you will need to use the recovery cd that came with your eMachine T3302

Thanks

DonnieDoonerMe

DonnieDoonerMe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ugh. I had to restore it. Oh well... at least all my illegally obtained music is still on my other hard drive :)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Ugh. I had to restore it. Oh well... at least all my illegally obtained music is still on my other hard drive :)

I am guessing that this is an attempt at humor.
You do know that if you use p2p programs you are at risk of infection?

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Illegally obtained music will get you infected for sure plus it is against our terms of use to post anything about illegal software etc..
This topic is closed.