Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer suddenly extremely slow + cpu 100%

• Please log in to reply

Dreagan

Dreagan

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey,

I would like to thank you in advance for at least reading about my problem.

The title of the topic says it all actually.. Since three (or maybe four) days, my computer has become extremely slow, you couldn't imagine how patient I have to be for typing this one sentence, for it has taken up exactly 9 and a half minute (luckily I don't type many mistakes..).
I think it all began when I wanted to view a video on youtube, there I noticed the sound played fully, but the video only showed snapshots, like it was a slideshow. But the rest of my computer seemed fine, speedy as always, even my internet connection had nothing to complain about.
Then, the next day, I wanted to play an avi file, first in windows media player, but that had the same issue as the youtube video, so I tried divx-player, which had.. the same problem..
Naturally, I suspected something was wrong, so I opened my trusty firefox and googled for a solution.. which it didn't give me.. -_-' But then, while loading my inbox for gmail, my computer froze..
That's when the sh** began..
The next boot I did, went really slowly, sometimes it froze up in the middle of doing so. And since then, my computer is slow in everything it does. It doesn't really matter if any programs are open and working, the cpu always reaches high levels, going back and forth from 0% to 100% all the time.

I've run a bunch of anti-spy/malware and anti-virus programs, but none of them came up with something.
I've cleaned up my registry, I defragmented my drives.. all to no result.

I am clueless of what might be the cause of this..
And if you think you know an answer, please , help me out, because I am in the middle of my exams for my veterinarian studies, and I could use the help of the almighty internet..

Many thanks in advance,

Dreagan

Advertisements

BudMarLeY

BudMarLeY

• Pip
  • 4 posts
im no pro at this but i had the same problem once and it ending up being my hard drive crapping out from old age.
hard drives dont last forever. i could be wrong but maybe a new hard drive would be in order?

Dreagan

Dreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have no idea, but this computer is only 1,5 years old.. so I don't think it's a matter of outdated or oldtimer hardware..
Do correct me if I'm wrong though..

Dreagan

bdesmond -MVP-

bdesmond -MVP-

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • MVP
So if you open task manager (ctrl+alt+del, task manager), hit the processes tab, and sort on CPU utilization, what is using the most CPU?

Dreagan

Dreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
When I look at taskmanager, it is hard to follow the exact problem.. so, after staring at some processes, I can tell you that there are a couple of things going from 0 to at least 50 every two seconds..
For one thing, taskmanager itself does this..
Then there is wmpnetwk.exe, but even if disabled, some other process gets the cpu at 100%.
There is messenger that goes up and down from 0 to 80.
Explorer has its moments.
And of course system does it too..
But even if the cpu is low (at about 10-25%), and I go to youtube or open winamp, the video or the music file lags massively and the cpu rises up to 100% and stays there until I close the application.. (winamp, wmp, ie, firefox,..)

I've noticed something weird this night too.. The computer slowed down immensely again when I was googling, and it seemed like it was going to freeze up. And you know how it goes, you get so frustrated at this "non-living" thing and you need to hit it.. -_-' I'm sure everyone has got to that point once.. So I did, but I hit it under the on/off button, right on the light that shows if it's working at the moment. And freakishly, it stopped lagging for a few minutes..
So, of course I had to have a peek inside, to see if there are some answers there, and I took off it's outer protection, and saw.. that there was absolutely nothing I could be making contact with when hitting on that light.. The only thing that's near, are the wires to the on/off button and the light (those wires seem to go to the same spot though and are tangled up and stripped together..).
But still every time it lags to much, and I hit that spot, it stops for just a small amount of time..

Unfortunately, it doesn't stop the cpu reaching 100% when playing video/music files on the internet or via programs installed on this computer.