Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN not working to full potential

• Please log in to reply

Thrak Farelle

Thrak Farelle

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey I'm new to GtG and this is my first post

I checked through about 50 or so posts before I realised that maybe no one has had my issue recently, or maybe I'm just missing something.
Anyway recently my LAN was just set up between 2 computers, an older one that had been running fine when LAN'ed to another computer and a newer one, that we only just recently received of an uncle of mine.

The newer one is more powerful while the older is weaker and to start with we had the issue that has been fixed many times in this forum, Limited or no connectivity. We used static IP addresses changed around a couple of LAN cards and got them connecting. They still connect, by definition, now but the newer computer doesn't seem to receive enough data from the older to make it of any use.

Old:
Sent 29k
Received 37k

New:
Sent 170
Received 114

This is from them both being on the same amount of time, at the same time, and not reseting or messing with the connection.

Example. Warcraft III LAN games, either computer can set up but the game wont show up for the other computer unless they leave the LAN games Menu.

Network adapters they are using
Old: VIA PCI 10/100mb Fast Ethernet Adapter
New: Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

Please Specify if you need to know anything more to be able to help and I will do what I can. I would be overjoyed if someone can help and in case you need to know these computers aren't used for anything except gaming.

Thanks

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
First, Welcome to Geeks-To-Go :)

Secondly, What you are seeing is traffic that each computer has sent out. As long as both PC's are actually transmitting data and working on the internet, as seen by the traffic there, everything is ok. These numbers are not really saying there is a problem but more of a status indicator that they are in fact transmitting traffic.

I hope this helps.

Thrak Farelle

Thrak Farelle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey thanks for the info and all.

But the connection will not actually receive enough data from the other. As in they will see that the other computer is there but we cannot see anything in the shared documents folder (despite there being something in there) and in any games we can't connect to the other computer's game.
So yeah.. Thanks for the advice, I guess I just wasn't specific enough.

Anyway, do you know anything that may be causing this? (Firewalls are off)

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
If both machines are behind a router, can you post the IP's of both machines?

Thrak Farelle

Thrak Farelle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
we are not using a router, both connected directly via LAN cable.
Details are

New
Physical Address: 00-E0-4C-03-12-D4
IP Address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway:
DNS Server:
WINS Server:

Old
Physical Address: 00-E0-18-AC-BF-01
IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0