Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Documents

• Please log in to reply

kkduerson

kkduerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
You'll have to forgive me, but where can I find this info? If you haven't already figured it out....this is not my area of expertise.

Thank you!!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You just are moving files from one location to another. Take everything from your MY DOCUMENTS folder and place it in a folder like C:\Test.

kkduerson

kkduerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I missed your instructions before my last response!! That's what I get for not noticing there was a 2nd page!!!

I've moved the files that I could (there are still several out there in "my document"), I've moved a folder into "my documents" that I know works and rebooted....all with no success.

In between our conversations I've been trying to do more research so that I won't have to continually bother you and I ran across something about XP...could there be a problem with it?

Thanks!!!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Create a New User Account on your computer (START-->CONTROL PANEL and in the new window that appears double-click on User Accounts) and then log out of your current account and in with that new account and see how MY DOCUMENTS behaves.

kkduerson

kkduerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I've created a new account and added some empty folders & a couple of documents and so far it is running smoothly. Does this mean something is corrupt in the other account? If so, can it be detected? If not, is there a way to transfer the files from my account to the new account?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Yes. Accounts are located in C:/Documents and Settings/<username> You could try copying the whole My Documents folder over to a new account.

You can definitely try this since it doesn't appear to be a file in that location that is corrupt (proven when we moved every file out of that folder earlier) and so shouldn't cause any problems.

kkduerson

kkduerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I set up the new "test" user account and transferred "my document" files over to this account. It has stopped responding.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Then one of the files is corrupted. Just a matter of creating a new account and trial and error-ing to seeing which file(s) is/are the culprit. Nothing else you can do.

kkduerson

kkduerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you so much for all of your help!!!! It is GREATLY appreciated!!!