Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp partition format with vista

• Please log in to reply

kotim

kotim

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Today I turned on my laptop and NTLDR error came up. I run xphome and I have two partitions on my harddrive. I was not able to get recovery console to work, so I decided I would install vista onto the second partition which is about 50gigs. This second partition does not have an operating system on it. However it won't do it saying that system volume is a problem.

I don"t want to lose some recent data, so I would at this stage prefer not to do a comlete reinstall/format. So If I can't find a software solution then I will have to go to the computer doctor adn get him to extract all the files first before I reformat.

Is their a way around this. I had hoped to install vista onto the second partion and then when it was up and running grap the recent files and all the others off the xp partition drive and backup to another drive.

However my thinking has not worked.

any help.

thanks

Tim

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello kotim...

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's.

wannabe1

kotim

kotim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks wannabe1, I have allready tried all those sort of solutions but no fix. I reloaded xp and it got so far and asked me to put the appropriate disc in which I did, but it refused to go anywhere. I tried numerous other things and no luck.

Anyway I have taken it to the computer hospital, who will drag the files off it and then I will reformat etc.

Paying the price for not backing up as often and as well as I should.

thanks