Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Internet Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply

networkz

networkz

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Okay well...I must say...this is a pretty stupid move on my part =/ LOL But any help would be great!

Ok so...My downstairs computer which is connected via wireless which connects to my router, it was working all fine and perfect until I decided to remove the a program called U.S. Robotics(a type of routers name) WLAN since my previous router was USR and now I have the Linksys WRT54GL, so I thought "Hey what the heck...I don't think I need this program, since it
s name began with USR" so I uninstall-ed it and the internet went crumbling down with it(just downstairs computer, laptop and everything else is fine)

After rebooting, there is a weird program that appeared right after, it's on the bottom right hand corner, like when a device can't install itself cause it needs the CD or software. It also appears under the "My Computer -> Device Manager -> Other Devices -> "Network Controller"" with the yellow question mark icon beside it.

The main problem is that, I can't get it to search for networks(to find a connection and connect to it), before I could search for connections and connect to it(like my laptop). I'm pretty sure nothing's wrong since it WORKED perfectly before I uninstalled that the USR Program...but I just need to install a program and get the "Network Controller" working and installed..

Is there a program or a way to make it appear again? I tried looking at US-R's website and my specific model and it doesn't have anything =/

Any Ideas or advice? English is not exactly my first language so it's kind of broken, if you have any questions just ask :)

PS: It's on Win XP Pro -SP2

Thank you!

Advertisements

Tech08

Tech08

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
When you bought the router it should have come with a CD just put in the CD and reinstall all the files ..... what you deleted should be on that CD!!! try it and if it doesnt work Reply and tell me!!!

Tech08

Tech08

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
A "Network Controller" assists with the Ethernet card's ability to work. Soooo not to rub it in or anything but you deleted a pretty important file!!!!!

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Errr...Apparently it's not :)

I have NO idea where the US-R CD's are since it's probably gone(along with my US Robotics Router) , So I tried my Linksys Disc and It couldn't find any necessary software to install my "Network Controller"

:S What can I try next?

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Hi networkz,

I'm not really sure but I think that you can get a Network controller driver for your PC from the internet.
What I mean is, when I couldn't find my laptops driver cd, I downloaded them from the net.

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Apparently...my Network Card("Network Controller" is made by TI(Texas Instrument) and I can't find my driver...ANYWHERE...

I don't exactly know the name of my Network Card but my friend took a wild guess after googling " PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_9066&SUBSYS_16EC010D&REV_00\4&22656C78&0&50F0 " which appears on the Details Tab when I go Properties on Device Manager -> Network Controller

I think it's " ZyXEL G-162v2 802.11b/g Wireless Cardbus Adapter "

Anyone have any ideas how to know if that's the correct one or how can I find it?

Thanks!

Tech08

Tech08

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
What you can try to to is write or call USR and ask for the CD for the U.S. Robotics WLAN....

I just had an idea... I believe that there is a way to restore your files by going through something on your computer that will restore your computer to a previous date... Its hard to explain... It will put everything back where it was on that date.. not sure if that will work but you have to figure it out soon. because your computer doesn't delete it right away. it will put it in a file for an X amount of days before it dumps it... dont ask me where that is

Edited by Tech08, 02 June 2008 - 02:10 PM.

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
OK ! GOT IT TO WORK!

Opened my comp, found the card, got the driver

TA DA

[bleep]...it was right under my nose too =/