Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black box around desktop name

• Please log in to reply

canada5611

canada5611

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a black box around my desktop names, I know how to change the color of it, and that I can just change it to a familiar color as my picture background but I want to get rid of it. I searched on other websites and did what they said about making sure my desktop items were not locked, and checked the box under Mycomputers/Properties/advanced/performance then click shadows on and restarted my computer but there is still a black box around the desktop item names, please help

Advertisements

canada5611

canada5611

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
any help?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
post a screenshot of what your taking about

canada5611

canada5611

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I am tryign to get rid of the black boxes under the desktop icon names. I want them to be transparent. Everythign I have read about properties/desktop/ clear everything under web, Mycomputer properties shadows on has not worked. Any additional ideas would be great, thanks.
Posted Image

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
maybe this will help

http://www.mvps.org/...XP/boarders.php

canada5611

canada5611

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks but i have done all of that and it just doesnt work, any other suggestions?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
right click on my computer...properties...look at the screenshot for the rest of the settings

canada5611

canada5611

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Everything suggested and on the websites I have done but my icons still have the box around the names. All of the help is appreciated but if anyone has any other ideas to why these suggestions won't work please let me know.

Posted Image

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you have custom ticked...thats why you have the box...look at my screenshot on the right hand side

Edited by happyrck, 08 June 2008 - 09:45 PM.

canada5611

canada5611

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
my custom box and click for best appearance had all the same checks, but I did it anyways and checked everythign else again and still no luck. Any other ideas? could it be spyware on my computer or something still ?

Kazzoo

Kazzoo

Visiting Consultant

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Greetings Canada5611

Try right clicking your desktop, go to "arrange by" and unchecking "lock to desktop"

See what you get.

Regards

Kaz

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

click for best appearance had all the same checks, but I did it anyways and checked everythign else again and still no luck.

DO NOT CHECK ANYTHING except best appearance ...then click ok

Edited by happyrck, 11 June 2008 - 04:52 PM.

GodIsMe

GodIsMe

• Pip
  • 1 posts

click for best appearance had all the same checks, but I did it anyways and checked everythign else again and still no luck.

DO NOT CHECK ANYTHING except best appearance ...then click ok

you fixed it!!!...finally!>..yea yea hurrah!!!

I checked for 'best appearance' and BINGO!

yea Kurt Russell!!