Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to overclock my pc

• Please log in to reply

mystery_man_

mystery_man_

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
First of all hi my name is Alen , im new here and as far as I saw this forum has a lot of people with knowledge about computers, so since im not exacly a expert I thought id register somewhere so I can ask if I have any problem or help others allthough as I said im not exactly a expert in hardware but oh well what can I do ..

Anyway my problem is that I want to increase my CPU for better performance on some games that require very tough performance requirements, but the deal is that I never did this yet so I have no clue how to do it except that its in bios and with the frequency , but I don't want to just do some random things and then destroy my PC so I was hoping for help and advice and please don't make fun of me because I don't know this im not really a expert of hardware.

Here is my spec from Cpu-z

Posted Image

If you have any more questions or need any more information please ask.

Thaks I apreciate the help

Btw my setting for CPU is 200 x 11 multiplier which gives 2.2 , I was hoping to overclock it to 2.4

Edited by mystery_man_, 01 June 2008 - 12:10 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
To overclock by 200Mhz isn't worth it.

The potential increase in performance is entirely dependent on how good the components are, mainly the board and the memory. Different types of memory overclock better and the higher end boards have a lot of flexibility as to how high you can go.

If you have a branded computer (such as HP for example) then overclocking isn't going to be an option.

For better performance in games processor speed tends to become irrelevant and its all about the graphics. What graphics card do you have please?

mystery_man_

mystery_man_

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
That ain't the problem , see im downloading the game assassin's creed which is said to need a dual core , the rest of my specifics like graphics and ram are above the needed both minimal and recommended only the CPU is the problem , people said it works on single core aswell but with low performance , however they seem to get a pretty good performance on a AMD 3500+ OC to 2.4 thats why I wanted to do it in the first place , and buying a dual core is not a option at the moment financialy.

Edited by mystery_man_, 01 June 2008 - 02:12 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Overclocking will not turn a single core processor turn into a dual-core one.
Realistically even though you may be able to overclock to 2.4Ghz I doubt it would make much of a difference since you've already acknowledged that the game runs slow on single core as it is. In this day and age 200Mhz is neither here or there.