Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer powers off seconds after power on.

• Please log in to reply

TheBrotherhood

TheBrotherhood

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just finished building a computer and as soon as I flicked the I/O switch, the computer powers on for about 5 seconds and then it turns off. The only way to get it back on (and thereby repeat the problem) is to flick the I/O switch off and back on again.

My system specs. are as follows:
Motherboard:GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
Power Supply:Corsair 550W
Video Card:eVGA e-GeForce 8800GT
RAM:Corsair 2GB

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Have you tried a new power supply?

TheBrotherhood

TheBrotherhood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes I did. I had another power supply around so I hooked that up, this time only powering the motherboard itself using the 24pin connector. I got the same problem as before except that because I only hooked up the motherboard the fans didn't spin. So I know now that it isn't the power supply that's causing the problem.

Tech08

Tech08

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I had a similar problem and I bought a higher Watt power supply... It turned on after I installed it. Have you also tried taking everything out inspecting it then putting them back in and trying again?

TheBrotherhood

TheBrotherhood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah, I tried that a little while ago, also I've think I've isolated the problem to the motherboard. I've taken everything out including the CPU and memory and still get the problem. In my mobo's manual it says that to run it needs 400W and I've got 550W of a pretty good(I think) power supply so I don't think that a higher watt supply would help.

Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Tech08

Tech08

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Normally I would suspect an over heating problem,but it doesn't sound like it stays powered up long enough to get hot.With that in mind I would suspect a hardware conflict.What I do is install an old but known good video card and try powering up,if that doesn't help me,then I reduce the amount of ram,series of elimination...It might be that the processor fan isn't working and the system is automatically shutting down to protect the processor. It could also be a RAM problem...... If all else fails my only guess would be that it is a faulty motherboard.............. I just thought of something and that is that you could be a short from the motherboard mounts????sometimes the board will short against the standoffs or the board is touching a part of the case that it didn't on the other case, take the board out of the case, find a place to rest it on,something non conductive!!!!!,plug in the power supply, put in your video card, attach your key board and fire it up, if it does the same thing,your board is cooked, if not ,you now have to find where the board is shrtn out.

Edited by Tech08, 01 June 2008 - 02:26 PM.

TheBrotherhood

TheBrotherhood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It probably is a faulty motherboard now that I think about it. I'm going to call the manufacturer on Monday to see about a new one.

Tech08

Tech08

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Reread my post I was trying to figure out more ideas and I had.... well...... an idea :)

TheBrotherhood

TheBrotherhood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the advice. I tried it but it didn't work. I guess it wasn't a short on the board. Luckily all my parts are brand new so the warranty is still good. Thanks for all the help. I guess there is nothing else to be done. :)

Sarcasmic

Sarcasmic

• Pip
  • 1 posts
my computer started doing the same thing after years of working. i tried getting a new power supply but it didnt help. ive taken my computer apart and reassembled and still doesnt work. any help?

MoMetal

MoMetal

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
A friend of mine had a computer doing the same thing. He had the geek squad guys look at it and it turned out the thermostate in the computer some how became calibrated incorrectly. It thought it was much much hotter than it actually was so the cpu's fail safe would shut the computer down. Something you might want to check.

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I had purchased the same board and never got it to stay running.
Ruling out the possible causes one at a time by removing the various cards etc I got to the point where all that was left was the board.
It was a faulty board and Newegg issued a refund very quickly. They are a great bunch of people there.
Good luck.