Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Consistant errors with different applications

• Please log in to reply

Bamf3000

Bamf3000

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Here is my previous thread with malware which does not seem like I really have any.

I was hoping the XP guys would be able to further assist.

Here is the link

http://www.geekstogo...33#entry1252033

Thanks.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Judging from your other post XP installation was not successful. This can be the result of either a faulty or dirty installation Cd, CD drive, or an internal hardware problem. Please do the following:

1: Wash your disk carefully with fresh water or a lens cleaning solution and wipe it dry and clean with a soft cloth. Wipe carefully in circular movements and make sure that no fibers are left on the disk.

2: Clean or replace your CD drive. You can buy, cheaply, a special disk that is used to clean the optic lens inside the drive.

3: Reformat and reinstall. the installation must work flawlessly without any errors.

If it doesn't work let us know and we'll run some hardware tests.

Bamf3000

Bamf3000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
K, I'll give that a try. It may be a few days before I can reformat everything, so please leave the topic open.

Thanks!

Bamf3000

Bamf3000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Tried reformatting and reinstalling windows. Got an error of wmvadve.dll was not copied correctly. Then it said something to the extent of I don't have a valid XP image or something, even though I have the CD and CD key that came with my dell computuer.

So it asked me if I wanted to retry and I cleaned the disk and retried and it had no issues.

Now I am getting a Fatal error message when I am in the actual installing part stating:

"An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing.

One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.
A component's file does not match the verification information present in the component manifest.

Press ok to view the setup log file."

I pressed ok and got this:

"Error:SXS.dll: Syntax error in manifest or polify file "F:\I386\asms\6000\MSFT\VCRTL\VCRTL.MAN" on line 11.

WHAT

THE

FUH!!! lol

I hate this computuer!!!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you borrow an XP installation CD? Any version. If yes, reformat and install it. We want to make sure that the problem is not with your installation CD and this will give us a final conclusion.

Before installing the other disk please clear the cmos: disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer. Open the side cover and carefully take out the cmos battery (looks like a silvery button). Keep it out for about 15 minutes. Reinstall and reboot. You will probably get a checksome error or some other message. If you do, enter BIOS and set time and date, save the new values and let the computer boot. There are computers in which other keys have to be used to enter BIOS. You can find the correct key when looking at the screen right after pressing the start button. Look for what key you have to press to enter setup.

Please note: Install but do not activate the other installation with Microsoft. This is done for test purposes only. If the installation succeed then you will have to get another disk in place of your damaged one. If it fails then something must be wrong with the hardware.

Bamf3000

Bamf3000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have a Windows XP upgrade disc. Will this work as well? Cause this happened before with that disc also. I have played around with the formating and yadda yadda and reformated like 4 times and finally this last time I said format but use the existing windows folder, it looks like it might work.

Looks like I got the same error about the Syntax blah blah blah.

I'm pretty sure this is hardware related but not sure where.

Is it possible its the harddrive?

Edited by Bamf3000, 04 June 2008 - 12:49 AM.

Bamf3000

Bamf3000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
So I used the Windows XP home Upgrade CD that I have to install Windows and it installed without any flaws. I am guessing I have a bad XP Pro CD?? The weird thing is that I have had this issue before with the Windows Upgrade CD that I have.

Now that I have it installed should I be doing anything to check my hardware?

Thanks for the help btw.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Stabilty Test from here.Unzip and read the READ file before you run the test to understand what's it all about. Now run the test for few hours and see if the computer crash. Please report.

Bamf3000

Bamf3000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have not registered windows and have not ran any updates yet for my PC. SHould I do that first?

I Dl'ed the stability test and after about 20-30 seconds it says it has encountered an error and has to close.

But the PC itself does not crash.

Bamf3000

Bamf3000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
On the 3rd try it seems to be running now.

Seriously this is the same type of issues I was having before I formated, where programs would just randomly stop working and say they had to close!!!

Bamf3000

Bamf3000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ran it for almost 5 hours with no hiccups.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Continue with the installation of other programs and let's hope for the best. Random errors can be very difficult to pinpoint.

If the XP CD is yours legally then you can activate it with Microsoft, no problem. If it's a borrowed one then you shouldn't.

Bamf3000

Bamf3000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
It's my upgrade CD, so hopefully it will work as I didn't install 98 first. Will it even let me use the XP pro CD i have as the orignal Windows install so that my Upgrade works?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The truth is that I never used XP upgrade, so I have no experience with that.