Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Some super nooby Questions for first builder

• Please log in to reply

Intruder_1400

Intruder_1400

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Background:
I have always wanted to build my own PC. It seems to be a big waste of money to buy a premade system that is you can not continue to upgrade. I am a complete Novice on PC building but I am looking forward to the challenge and learning some new things. My current PC is dead. It has a fried MB but every thing else still works. It is loaded with XP SP2

Rant:
It seems, to me at least, that much more people would build there own PC systems if the language was just a tad easier to comprehend :) . For example Graphics cards come with like 6 or 7 different names. GT, GTX. GS :) etc. Trying to figure out what one is best for your own personal build is intimidating to say the least. I think they would sell many more PC components and make much more money if they simply spoke in simpler terms.

I am trying to decide what operating system, MoBo, and CPU to buy. I would like to be able to transfer some old files (pictures and home movies, documents) to the new computer and ?maybe? use my old 200 GB HD as a slave? Besides that I would something that will continue to be upgradable for a few years.

I have been browsing this forum for a few days and it sounds like you guys are all pretty bright. I would love to know you thoughts.

Forgot to add purpose.

Not looking for a super machine to run the world but would like to be able to play some newer games like COD4 and maybe AOC. Mostly it will be used to store pictures, home videos, internet and work (running some high end science/chemistry programs)

Edited by Intruder_1400, 01 June 2008 - 05:29 PM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Hi Intruder_1400. Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Do you plan on reusing parts from your old computer in this build? Please list any components you plan on reusing, so we can help you to pick compatible parts to buy.

What will be your uses for this computer? What is your budget?

Oh, and I completely agree with you on the graphic card naming system. :)

Intruder_1400

Intruder_1400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks stetty
I told my wife it would only cost a few hundred :) but I plan on spending about 1000.00. The only thing I imagine that is usable for my old PC is maybe the CD/DVD RW and I am not even sure about that. I am positive the PSU is not powerful enough for new processors and the graphics card is not PCI-x. Just the monitor, mouse, keyboard and maybe the DVD burner.

WOW this site rocks!!!
So much information and even a novice like myself can understand. The more I read and search the more I learn.
One Question I have is about processors and speed. I know there is a thing called over clocking, how does that effect processor selection?
Is a faster core duo better than a slow quad duo? Why are there so many similar processors from the same company? I commend you guys and girls for being able to keep on top of this stuff, and then take time out to help people select there gear, while not ripping them off.

Edited by Intruder_1400, 01 June 2008 - 06:40 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there, hope you don't mind me "intruding" on this thread... :)

Okay, so you have $1000 to spend on a computer tower? Your uses will be to play COD4 and Age of Conan (that's AOC, right?). We'll build your system to the specs of these games, because that's the highest point - everything else will be covered by doing this.

First up, the recommended specs for COD4 (cannot find AOC specs online):

Thermaltake M9 VI1000BNS SECC Steel Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $79.99

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $89.99

EVGA 512-P3-N841-AR GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail $239.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply - Retail $119.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail $194.99

mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996612 - Retail $69.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD502lJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $89.99

SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM $27.99

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM $99.99

Subtotal: $1,012.91

That would be a really sweet system!

One Question I have is about processors and speed. I know there is a thing called over clocking, how does that effect processor selection?
Is a faster core duo better than a slow quad duo? Why are there so many similar processors from the same company?

Overclocking is when you tell the processor to run faster than the standard speeds as specified by the manufacturer. As soon as you overclock, you will void your warranty. It generally is pretty easy to get a small overclock from most processors, and going for medium/large overclocks is the stuff of enthusiasts. For this, you'll need an aftermarket heatsink/fan, or watercooling, as overclocking also equates to "overheating", and temperatures must be controlled. This will affect your decision to some extent, as some chips are known to be good overclockers. Recent efforts that come to mind are the E6750 Core 2 Duo and the Q6600 Core 2 Quad.

I personally would select a higher clocked Core 2 Duo over a lower clocked Core 2 Quad. This is because for my uses, a dual core gives excellent performance. Somebody who did a lot of multimedia editing, however, would benefit from a Core 2 Quad, instead. This is because multimedia editing programs benefit greatly with the additional cores on the CPU.

Cheers

Troy

Intruder_1400

Intruder_1400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks for the help. You guys are making this project possible. I wish I could repay you some how.
Just two more questions
First is about using my XP HD as a slave, if it will be compatible?
Second is about why did you select that processor over the multiple similar ones? I am trying to make this as educational as possible; maybe one day I can help some one else build there own computer.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Your old hard drive could be used as a data drive, but you would want to reformat it first (wipe all data on it), so XP and other apps aren't using all of the hard drive space. Or, you could do a repair install on the XP installation, and then dual-boot XP and Vista. However, if this was an OEM version of XP (it came pre-installed on the computer or you bought an OEM disk), then the second option will not be possible unless you buy a new license for XP.

Also, while I can't speak for Troy, I agree with his CPU choice and I'll try to justify my reasons. First, it is the second cheapest 3ghz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU. It is only $5 more expensive than the least expensive one (E6850). The E8400 uses a 45nm manufacturing process, compared to the 65nm used by the E6850. This means it will run cooler and have more overclocking headroom. It also has a 6MB L2 cache compared to the E6850's 4MB L2 cache. This will let the E8400 perform a bit better in some situations. Basically, there isn't too much difference, but it is certainly worth $5. An AMD CPU wasn't chosen, as Intel's Core 2 lineup outperform AMD's offerings at this time.