Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Question regarding XP and Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Ok heres the problem.

I currently have a custom PC with a 400GB NTFS HD with XP Pro, if you need all my hardware let me know. I want to buy a 2nd internal hard drive thats ~750GB+ and put Ubuntu on it. However, I also want to put lots of media on it, and treat it more/less as a storage drive. But heres the catch --- I want to be able to boot to Windows, and use the media(movies, music, pictures, documents, etc) thats on my hard drive with Ubuntu. (Basically I want both operating systems to be able to see and use all the media)

I am not sure if this is possible, or if it is how it's done. My only guess is somehow partitioning the slave drive. Any suggestions would be great.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Sure it's possible. ext2 IFS for Windows will allow you to read and write to Linux partitions and all modern Linux have the NTFS 3g drivers that should allow access to NTFS drives.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Sounds great, now hows the best way to go about installing the 2nd drive, installing the drivers, and transferring all my media over? Is there a special order it should all be done in?

Edited by Trippster, 02 June 2008 - 07:27 AM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Assuming SATA drives you should be able to install the second drive and use the partitioner in Ubuntu to set up the drive for what you need the drive to be for what you want to do. I prefer linux file systems(ext.3). They require less maintenance then Windows file systems and with IFS installed in windows reading the data is not an issue. The only issue is writing to a drive from Windows to Linux. Windows handles file permissions differently and most writes are set as /root. It takes some experience to learn how to avoid these issues and correct them once they do happen.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I was thinking of splitting the 2nd drive with a linux file system for that, then the media partition to have NTFS. If that's possible, I've never experienced partitioning and file formatting with linux.

Edit- Yes its all SATA

Edited by Trippster, 02 June 2008 - 05:18 PM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Sorry had a long day. Linux for the most part is designed for partitioning. Very few distros install on one partition. I generally install /root to a 10 to 20 gig partition set at the first of the drive. Then I set up a Swap partition usually equal to or double the installed RAM. Then I set up a /home partition for user accounts. This depends on what your personal needs are. I use a 40 gig on most of my systems, this gives me enough room for personal use and since most modern distos use LVM (logical volume management) the system can adjust to conditions on the fly. Deciding ow to user the rest of the space is a personal choice/need thing. You have to decide what you need and how the partitions are going to be used, storage (few writes), processing (read/write intensive) or something in between. A little research and thaught will give you an idea of what you may need. With tools like gParted as your needs change so can the partitions you use.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
This is what I hope to have in the end.

My current 400GB NTFS HD with Windows XP
A second 750gb Hard drive with two partitions
1st partition(50gb) = Ubuntu with any file system
2nd partition(700gb) = Used for reading 75% of the time and writing 25% of the time. Only going to hold movies, music, disc images. I want this to be NTFS.

Edited by Trippster, 05 June 2008 - 01:17 PM.