Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Boot up

• Please log in to reply

xX dArKsKaTa Xx

xX dArKsKaTa Xx

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Okay, I put Windows Vista on another partition of my drive, and realized I really didn't like it, so I formatted the drive and resized both my partitions to just C. But now when I boot up a screen comes up asking me if I want to load Microsoft Windows Vista, or and earlier version of windows. I click earlier version and XP loads fine.

How do I make my pc automatically boot Windows XP again?

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Problems with the master boot record (MBR) of a system may prevent the system from booting. The MBR may be affected by malicious code, become corrupted by disk errors, or be overwritten by other boot loaders when experimenting with multiple operating systems on a host. This recipe describes one method of repairing the MBR for an XP host using the recovery console.

Boot with the XP installation CD.

When prompted, press R to repair a Windows XP installation.

If repairing a host with multiple operating systems, select the appropriate one (XP) from the menu. If you have only one operating system, enter 1 to select it.

Enter the administrator password if prompted.

To fix the MBR, use the following command:

fixmbr

This assumes that your installation is on the C:\ drive. You will be presented with several scary warning lines the reading of which will make you want to say no. Microsoft is exceptionally vague regarding the conditions under which fixmbr can cause problems although they are clear about the consequences (losing all data on the hard drive), so use this at your own risk.

Type y and ENTER to fix the MBR.

Type exit to leave the recovery console and reboot

Your damaged MBR will be replaced with a shiny new one, and you should then be able to boot your system normally. In some cases, you may need to repair the boot sector in addition to the MBR. If your system still doesn't boot properly, repeat the steps above, but issue the fixboot command instead

xX dArKsKaTa Xx

xX dArKsKaTa Xx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Is there any possible way that I could do it without having to use a disk, my disk drive just crapped out on me, and I don't have the money to replace it.

Edited by xX dArKsKaTa Xx, 02 June 2008 - 06:52 PM.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
you can edit the boot.ini file

CONTROL PANEL
SYSTEM
ADVANCED TAB
STARTUP AND RECOVERY BOX CLICK SETTINGS
CLICK ON THE EDIT TAB

it should look like this if you have just xp on

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect