Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First High performance Build

• Please log in to reply

Tech08

Tech08

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey I need help.... I am building a new computer and I have a bunch of parts that I want to get but I just want to make sure I am getting the right parts. I am a little confused with what to get as far as RAM and PSU.

......This is My cart.....

XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Hanns·G HG-281DPB Black 28" 3ms Widescreen LCD HDMI Monitor 500 cd/m2 800:1 Built in Speakers

EVGA 01G-P3-N895-A3 GeForce 9800 GX2 KO 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Creative 70SB046A00003 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card

G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI DDR3 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Yorkfield 3.2GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 136W Quad-Core Processor

Well Now that you have seen all that this is my question... Since my both the NVIDIA motherboard and graphics card use DDR3 should I get the DDR3 memory and I am wondering if 8GB of RAM is too much. Also I am not sure what Power supply to get.. I was going to get a Rosewill RX850-S-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 850W Power Supply But I am afraid that the watts are too low... I am trying to make an Extreme performance Gaming/Game Developing computer.. I have built a few before just none with this much stuff and also not this advanced. If you have any suggestions on different components to get, or the things in my list are not compatible please reply! I would like to order soon and get this beast running!!!!

P.S I want to be able to play crysis on ultra high settings with high FPS

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, I see you have another thread exactly the same, so I will post here. A moderator will close the other one shortly. There is no need to make another thread if you already have the same one open. :)

Here are some thoughts (and further questions) for you:

If you are looking for extreme performance, either grab the Samsung F1 hard drives, or look out for the WD Velociraptor.

You have chosen DDR2 RAM and a motherboard that supports DDR3. This will not work. You will either need to change the motherboard, or the RAM.

For a beast of this calibre, don't get a Rosewill PSU, they are poor quality compared to some others. You'll be wanting one of the top performing units. I would be looking at something like this.

Are you getting one or two of those graphics cards?

And why the Core 2 Extreme processor? Where's your heatsink/fan to go with it, then? What kind of overclock are you looking to get out of it?

Cheers

Troy

Tech08

Tech08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey Troy, sorry I reposted when I went on the other day it said I had 0 views so I wasn't sure if something was wrong with my other post.. :)

I thought the Core 2 Extreme was the best CPU out there? Am I wrong?? And My cart is not finished I am still unsure about my cooling method *** Air or water*** I am nervous with water cooling as this would be my first time installing it .As far as graphics cards go I am going with one for now *** Despite the high cost of this build I am trying to keep costs as low as I can... for this type of build*** The most overclocking experience I have is using ATItool for max GPU bus speed and memory. Um as for RAM what do you suggest? I like G Skill alot but thats because I haven't used anything else.. and 8 GB is too much isn't it..

The attachment is my current cart from Newegg..

P.S. Thanks for the help. This is the most helpful forum I have ever been on and I will try to spread the word!! This site should be on every computer site. :)

Attached Files

Edited by Tech08, 02 June 2008 - 01:54 PM.

Tech08

Tech08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Is that a good case... I can't decide if this case is the one I really want. Right now I have a Raidmax Smilodon and I love it but im not sure if it could keep temps down with all these parts.. I don't know I have looked at almost every case and I just cant decide.

Tech08

Tech08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Help..?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Yes it certainly is one of the fastest processors out there right now. Most times, people who purchase this type of processor (extreme) because they intend to overclock it to the maximum, as the Extreme processors have an unlocked multiplier.

The Extreme series processors don't come with a heatsink/fan, so you'll need to purchase one. If you intend to overclock, you'll be wanting to purchase a high-end unit, otherwise something "lesser" will do. If you are interested in watercooling, you need to be aware that poor-quality parts are a recipe for disaster. Watercooling is one of those "go all out or go home" areas in computing. This can easily get very expensive, which will all need to be added onto the price of your current cart.

8GB of RAM would be too much if you never use it. How much RAM do you currently have - and how much of it do you use? What are your intended uses for this computer, and would 8GB be too much, or the right amount?

Cases usually come down to personal preference. On the budget side, I really like Cooler Master and Thermaltake cases. As you start getting into high-end builds and want a really good case, Lian-Li, Zalman, Gigabyte, Silverstone, and Antec can be added to that list. These manufacturers put out high-quality units, with excellent emphasis on sturdy construction, cable management, plenty of room for your parts, and cooling. This is one of my personal favourites, I would love to build a high-end system using this case!

Cheers

Troy

Tech08

Tech08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Right now I have 2047 MB of RAM and with Firefox and Everest running I am utilizing 35%. If you want to see my entire Computer summary it is attached text format *** I love Everest***. As far as cases I adore lian-li, I wanted to get the TYR PC-X2000 or the Armorsuit PC-P80 but I cannot find ANYWHERE to buy the TYR PC-X2000... I don't even know the price. if I could get one of them I would get the new TYR but from what I seen it looks MASSIVE and the zone cooling is a little confusing as far as how I would wire everything because of that setup. I am building this as an extreme gaming/ game developing computer.

Attached Files

Tech08

Tech08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm confused - what's next? Further questions I've missed to answer?

:)