Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router to Router Problem

• Please log in to reply

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
You're welcome! :)

I hope your neighbor and you can work something out :)

Regards,
Olrik

Advertisements

lz22

lz22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Since I am not one to give up even though the same problem occurs. I was working on the laptop, experiencing much the same disconnect after initial bootup and connection. However, I left it on for awhile, long enough for the screen to turn black while I doodled on my desktop adjacent to the laptop. I decided to move the mouse of the laptop and click on mozilla again. To my surprise, it worked.

Initial connection -> Immediate disconnect (less than 10 seconds) -> A long time goes by -> It works as a stable connection.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Still sounds like the router in combination with vista though.
If you want a second opinion I could ask one of the Tech Academy to review this.

Regards,
Olrik

lz22

lz22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I am hoping that it would always work into a stable connection if I do nothing to it except leaving it on for awhile. I don't mind the waiting. But it would be great if you could get one of the Tech Academy to review this for me. I was adding this reply so that others who have the same problem may find waiting to be a solution.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I'll make a post in the Tech Academy asking to review my conclusion.
It might require a bit of patience as we're not with many and there's a lot of questions out there :)

Regards,
Olrik

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try removing IPV6.....IPV6 is the new version of the IP addressing scheme that has been developed to cope with he fact that ipv4 addresses are of a finite amount and are dwindling in availability (or so they say)....however IPV6 has not been publicly implemented so there's no use for it and having it available on an active connection can cause issues

• open Control Panel
  • open Network and Internet
  • open Network Connections
  • Right click the connection you wish to remove IPv6 from.
  • Select Properties
  • Remove tick from "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)"
  • then click OK.
Repeat for other connections if needed.

Edit:
if simply disabling (i.e. unchecking the box) doesn't resolve the issue...follow the above steps but this time highlight the ipv6 option in the list and press uninstall

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Thanks dsenette!

EDIT: I didn't notice this was the actual topic :)

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 18 June 2008 - 12:55 PM.

lz22

lz22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

try removing IPV6.....IPV6 is the new version of the IP addressing scheme that has been developed to cope with he fact that ipv4 addresses are of a finite amount and are dwindling in availability (or so they say)....however IPV6 has not been publicly implemented so there's no use for it and having it available on an active connection can cause issues

• open Control Panel
  • open Network and Internet
  • open Network Connections
  • Right click the connection you wish to remove IPv6 from.
  • Select Properties
  • Remove tick from "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)"
  • then click OK.
Repeat for other connections if needed.

Edit:
if simply disabling (i.e. unchecking the box) doesn't resolve the issue...follow the above steps but this time highlight the ipv6 option in the list and press uninstall

Do you happen to have a Windows Vista version of those steps? The uninstall button is grayed out between Install and Properties in the window Local Area Connection Properties.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for the uninstall i'm going to say no...i don't have vista so i can't replicate it....i would assume that with vista (as with anything else in vista) you have to be logged in as the admin to uninstall the protocol...

but...for attempts sake....if you disabled ipv6...try rechecking the box to enable it and see if it will let you remove it that way....if not you'll probably have to log on as THE administrator