Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

Ienye

Ienye

• Pip
  • 5 posts
HI,

I'm having roubles with my computer, dunno if it's a virus or anything. It won't work. Everytimje I try to open a program it encounters a problem and needs to close. NO matter what the program is. When i try and open my computer DrWatson Post Mortem Debugger encounters a problem and needs to close. Also, when i try and open my web program it says that is not a vaild win32 application. example trying to open hotmail: http://hotmail.com/ is not a valid win32 application. I dunno what's going on. I just got my comp a little while ago, and it never came with a restore disk so I can't try and formatt it. IF anyone could help that would be great.
Thanks

P.S. Using brothers computer now, ifwondering how i am on internet

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ienye, this is well known malware problem

Please follow the link in my singature to the malware forum and read ths instructions at the top

Ienye

Ienye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well I tried doing that and now instead of DrWatson or anything I try and open, Windows Explorer is the thing that has encountered the problem, and it keeps popping up every 10 seconds. More than half my desktop icons have disappeared, and i can't even open my start menu. any other suggestions? or should i just try and format?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you tried what?

Following all the directions posted at the top and then posting a hijack log is still needed?

Ienye

Ienye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i tried to run adaware and tried leaning out my tmep files, but now i can't even get inot my computer to do it, is there a way to delete them from dow? the temp files i mean?
sorry to be a bujg and dummy

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what do you mean cannot get in

Ienye

Ienye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Like i can't open my computer or anything. start menu nothing, i think i can ctrl alt del, that's about it. half my desktop icons are gone, so i can't open anything from there.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
have you tried safe mode yet?

Ienye

Ienye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yeah i did, same thing, am just gonna try and format it with my brother's xp cd, the comp didn't come with one, just had it installed o it, thanks for help, will let you guys know what happens

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I don't think anything that drastic is necessary

If you can hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and get taskmanager running, then NEW TASK, msconfig, you can run a selective startup and disable the programs running at startup that are likely causing the issue