Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will System Restore Delete My Files?

• Please log in to reply

Phriend

Phriend

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
My dad recently installed TaxCut on my computer and did his 2007 taxes.

Unfortunately, I had forgotten that he did this -- and I ran a system restore back to a date PRIOR to when he had installed Tax Cut.

After realizing what I had done, I "undid" my system restore. This undo reinstalled the TaxCut program -- but I am unable to find the specific tax file that he was working on.

Has his file vanished forever? (I am running Windows XP).

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Normally restore doesn't wipe data but, again, restore is a serious operation and things can go wrong.

Do you know the name of the file? If yes, run a search for it. If you are not sure what to look for, create a fake file, write down the type of the file and run a search. In this case search for *xyz (xyz being the three letters that define the type of file. For example, .doc defines a Word documents. All this long explanation is due to the fact that I always forget how you call these letters in English).

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
^If the above dont work...

Try a freeware program called Recuva
Install it then scan your harddrive, it will reover all the files that have been deleted so there might be quite a few to sift through, but if you no the name its not that difficult as it puts them in alphabetical order

hope this helps

SpuD