Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

dial-up can not detect digital dial tone

• Please log in to reply

terri3927

terri3927

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I'm trying to help my mother with her computer. Her computer is 56k dial-up modem. She has a dell with windows ME. She just had insight cable digital phone service installed. It has a kind of modem set-up between the cable and the phone line. The cord runs straight from the box to the phone jack (which is what insight told me would fix the problem). I called back and another person told me that there was something I could do to the computer itself to make the connection work, but, they could not tell me what it was. Can you help me?

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well if she has cable phone why doesn't she have cable internet....? If she does it doesn't plug into the phone line but into the ethernet port if she has one.

terri3927

terri3927

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for taking the time to reply. She is only on the internet about an hour a month, total. So she is just on netzero's free program. She says she does not use it enough to switch to paid isp. I was just trying to get her back on, period.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

There could be a number of reasons for this problem, for example, if you have a phone line which has voice mail capabilities, then you often find that when you have a new voicemail message, the dial tone changes to a different tone - this will confuse a dial up modem.

Assuming that there are no other problems, then you might be able to get it working by doing the following:

Click on the Start button in Windows, then select Settings -> Control Panel.

In control panel, double click on the 'Modems' or 'phone/modems' icon (can't remember exactly what its called in ME)

When the modems window opens, select the 'Modems' tab, then click on your dial up modem in the list & click 'properties'

Somewhere in the properties window (check all of the tabs), there should be a setting called 'wait for dial tone before dialing'. Clear the checkbox next to this setting, then click OK.

Let me know if this solves the problem

terri3927

terri3927

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for trying to help. On a lark I tried adding another phone cord between the wall socket and the line going into her computer, and it works! Yeah! I don't know why that made a difference, but it did. Thanks, again.
Terri

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Glad to hear you've resolved it :)