Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Determining whether IP is static or dynamic within a network

• Please log in to reply

giadda

giadda

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
a pleasant morning to all fellow geeks :)

i have several questions regarding IP and networking and stuff :) i'm not very techie regarding networking though, so i hope a very good geek would help me ^^

i live in one of the flats within a compound, here in the Philippines. Our landlord has a T3 connection hosted by PLDT-an ISP. To access the net and save on finances, we have a network within a compound.

So my questions..

1st Q: how to determine if IP is dynamic or static. (note: my TCP/IP is already configured to auto obtain IP add, DNS, etc)

2nd Q: is there a program which forces a dynamic IP add?

3rd Q: i've tried programs like hide-IP but this doesn't really help me much at all, are there any other programs?

please note:

a. as much as i want to, i cannot access the router, so i can't turn it off to have my IP renewed..

b. i also tried the ipconfig flushing thing but when i check www.whatsmyip.com, my IPadd is still the same..

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well first...everything you're wanting info on sounds like you're referring to the PUBLIC IP (i.e. the address seen from the outside world like websites etc..)...that ip is controlled by the ISP (Internet Service Provider) not your computer or anything on your computer....you can hide your private ip (the one on your computer) or even the public ip if you can use a proxy server...but even then it's possible to find your real ip address....

so basically...if you're not allowed to touch the router...and you don't control anything about the internet connection itself (the T3) then there's not much you can do

giadda

giadda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

everything you're wanting info on sounds like you're referring to the PUBLIC IP

yes i am indeed referring to the public IP..

so basically...if you're not allowed to touch the router...and you don't control anything about the internet connection itself (the T3) then there's not much you can do

oh okay, that's quite sad to hear :) i was hoping to use a proxy but like you said, my IP might still be revealed :)

well, thanks very much for your help ^^ i appreciate the time and effort.. ^^

p.s. sorry for the delayed response, had problems with the network..