Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to Repair XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

georgee55

georgee55

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a DVD of XP Pro and one of XP Pro SP2 and neither has the "repair" option most quoted on the net.

When I have a bad hangup in XP Pro (about every 3-6 mo), and I put in the DVD and boot, it goes through the std start but when it come to the options, the only ones listed are the one lists the disk drive and asks me which do I want to install Windows on. There is no "repair" option, just the re-load.

It does not destroy my C: drive and loads a WINDOWS.1 but all my Programs are hosed and will not execute. Says something is missing. Programs will execute without reloading them.

I suspected the registry but saved it and restored but still none of my programs will start.

How does one get a CD/DVD of XP Pro with the REPAIR option where it just restores the OS files. and leaves the registry and Program Folder and links alone??

The system restore in Safe Mode sometimes works but some times it will not and XP just has to be re-loaded.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi georgee55! Welcome to G2G!

You are doing a Parallel installation of Windows and not repairing it, that is why you are getting the Windows.1 folder. A Parallel installation is only used as a last resort to backup data from a Windows installation that is completely hosed. With a parallel installation you will gain access to the files on the system and be able to backup important documents. The next step then is to completely format and re-install the operating system from scratch to get only one good Windows installation on the drive.

The above is obviously what you don't want to do. Some OEM CD's don't have the repair option on them, and if that is the case in your situation, then unfortunately there isn't really much you can do other then borrow a CD from a friend/family member and hope that it works.

I recommend you try doing a repair installation following the instructions on THIS GUIDE and see if you really don't have the ability to repair your version of XP with the CD that you are using.

Fenor

*EDIT* -- And XP has never come on a DVD, only CD's. Are you using one of those 7-in-1 Windows DVD's that you can download off the Net? If so, then you are out of luck, because not only are those illegal to have in the first place, but they are very 'dumbed' down versions of the operating systems. They have 100% of the files needed to install the operating system, but lack the files that would allow you to run a repair installation.

Edited by Fenor, 03 June 2008 - 07:20 AM.

Ctrl_Alt_Del

Ctrl_Alt_Del

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Actually if you subscribe to Technet Windows XP does come on a DVD.