Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AutoLaunch no longer works

• Please log in to reply

promsi

promsi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Rorschach112 sent me to this forum to ask this question....

He was TREMENDOUS in helping me get rid of the Vundo malware.... however....

Now after I put in place all that was required to get rid of it - my AutoLaunch seems to not work - When I load a DVD it does not launch the software to run the DVD. Also - when I plug in my USB memory stick it does not autolaunch the apps to run from the memory stick etc.

Any ideas as to why now this functionality does not work?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello promsi....

Try running the Microsoft Autoplay Repair Wizard on it. That should put things back in order.

wannabe1

promsi

promsi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the quick reply - I downloaded the file and ran the install and it says "The latest version of the browser plugin is already installed"

Not sure why it is a "BROWSER" plugin as my issues have nothing to do with the browser....

Thanks for your help - any other instructions or suggestions?

Steve

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The plugin it's referring to is the WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) plug in. At the bottom of the download page, there should be a "Continue" button to click...click on that for the next page...The "Genuine Check" where you have to paste a code in a box. Once you are past that, you can actually download the tool.

The problem you are having has nothing to do with a browser plugin....it's missing or incorrect registry settings that are causing the problem.