Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows Media Player Error... HELP

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently reinstalled Windows XP on an HP Pavillion a1203w. I did not want to pay HP to get the recovery disc, but I did have a copy of Windows XP Home, that I put on the computer. Everything went smoothly and I downloaded all the new service packs and I am all updated as far a Microsoft is concerned.

The Problem is, for some reason I can't get Windows Media Player 11 to play anything. It keeps giving me this message...

"Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help."

I click web help and it tells me there may be something wrong with the audio device. I have installed all the new drivers for the Reltek card I have and all other audio works. I have installed VLC media player and DVD's work just fine, with both Audio and Video functioning properly.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled WMP multiple times, as well as installing 3rd party codecs that are compatible with WMP. I am out of ideas.

Any suggestions would be awesome...

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
What type of files are you trying to play? .avis? mp4's? mp3s? If I recall right, WMP can't play DVDs, I could be wrong.

To see if your audio driver was properly installed Right-click on My Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager, and see if there are any Unknown devices (usually marked by a yellow ? mark)

My opinion/suggestion would to use VLC for anything video related. And iTunes or Winamp for audio stuff.