Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Copying/Cloning

• Please log in to reply

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hello fellow geeks,

I have been pondering on this idea for some time, because up until now I've been using the generic method of copying a hard drive by using the simple click and drag, which usually takes a while (because of all the files). I was wondering if there was a fast, more reliable alternative to this method because I know that copying an entire hard drive may be unsuccessful due to permission restrictions on files and such. I want to be able to copy information from a hard drive to another hard drive without having to restart my process because one file could not be copied over. I have heard of running the computer in a linux os or alternative os where it will continue to copy files even if one is unsucessful. Thanks for your thoughts and attention

Regards,
3quilibrium

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You're mixing the terminology which may cause confusion. Cloning is a process of entirely duplicating one drive to another on a sector by sector basis. Copying is just the moving of files from one drive to another. If you want to make sure that all the files on one drive or partition or folder are in another one, then you want software for synchronizing and not for cloning.

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Thanks for the reply Tyger and for the proper terminology. Do you know of any software that helps to easily move files from a hard drive to a server storage? I know that simply clicking and dragging will do it but I find it unreliable as windows will usually find a file it cannot move and terminate the copying process.

Regards,
3quilibrium

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
You could try this free program

Unstoppable Copier

http://www.roadkil.n....php?Category=1

Program Description

Recovers files from disks with physical damage. Allows you to copy files from disks with problems such as bad sectors, scratches or that just give errors when reading data. The program will attempt to recover every readable piece of a file and put the pieces together. Using this method most types of files can be made useable even if some parts were not recoverable in the end

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I would just back up your data files. Like Word documents or Excel files. Copy and paste is fast and easy. I also include Outlook Express emails and FireFox book marks. But that's about it.

I just got Vista Ultimate a few months ago and am using it's Image clone backup and it works very well. To back up everything buy something like Acronis and make/save a disk image.