Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Editing Shell(?) Commands

• Please log in to reply

Chumara

Chumara

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I've been looking through a lot of different sites and Windows XP documentation and I cannot find anything on how to add commands such that suppose you type a word into cmd prompt, it will launch a certain program or file. Examples of this are commands like "dxdiag", "explorer", I can even type in "notepad" or "setpoint" for my mouse program and it will start, I'm sure these are being registered when I install certain programs but does anyone know how I can register such words myself?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
When you type anything into a command prompt it will try to launch a program with the same name that you've typed in. It's exactly the same as typing them into the Run box.
Notepad and Explorer and Dxdiag are all programs that come as part of Windows.
If you should type in a recognised command (type help at the command prompt to see the full list) and feed it appropriate add-on data, it will do what you've asked it to.
So to answer your question, its not possible to add your own options as such but you can launch any file or program as long as its in the defined path. Technically even a shortcut to the Microsoft Word program and putting it in your Windows folder and then typing Word at the command prompt used to work, whether it does under XP I don't know as the functionality's been replaced by the Start Menu.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
You can, sort of. You could make a .bat file with the commands in it and name it whatever word you want to use to run the program. Say you wanted to start word and have it open a specific document when you typed the word "Resume" ... you could start a text file and type in it: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\winword.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\myname\My Documents\Resume.doc" and name it resume.bat. If the location of resume.bat is in your path, just type resume and it would load word with the document resume.doc loaded. With shortcuts, it's really not necessary to do this really, tho.