Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows explorer close

• Please log in to reply

JACKIEWSHI

JACKIEWSHI

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I think I'm acciendly deleted some usefuly file, after I reboot the computer, I got the "windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience."
when i click for the error report i get this:

error signature

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: user32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00009be9

My computer only has the wall paper, no icon, no Start buttom, no tool bar. When I hit Ctrl+alt+del, I can go to the tast manager and can run new task if I know the program exe file.

I'm the only user there but if I want to logoff from the user, I get error message that the memory can not "READ". I can't remember the exactly words now since I'm using another computer to ask for help now.

If my user32.dll file crash, how can I fix it. I can't even boot the computer under safe mode.

Please help. :tazz:

Thanks.

Jackie

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the simplest solution is run a repair, which you can see in this thread:

http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

do you have a windows disk

JACKIEWSHI

JACKIEWSHI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry, I don't have. I only have a Dell provided window. I haven't try to boot the computer from this CD yet as what you teach us before. But seems like the Dell version doesn't work on this issue. If I can't find an orginal CD, what else method I can try. Thanks for your quite reply.

Jackie

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

My computer only has the wall paper, no icon, no Start buttom, no tool bar.  When I hit Ctrl+alt+del, I can go to the tast manager and can run new task if I know the program exe file. 

View Post

try explorer.exe

does that load as a single process?

JACKIEWSHI

JACKIEWSHI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried it, but it gave me the same error message as I mentioned above.

Another question, I saw there are some ad posted at the top of the forum such as Repair Windows, Fix any window Error. Do you think those program works? If I download them, do you think it may help to solve my problem. The repair windows offer 6 trial, does it worth to try? :tazz:

Thanks again for quick reply.

Jackie

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, they don't typically work

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
want you to try something....

Start > run
Regedit
Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

Look on the right side, find
IsInstalled

double click, change the value from 1 to 0
Exit regedit

go to c:\windows\windows update files

find ie6setup.exe

double click it and let it run...

see if that fixes it

JACKIEWSHI

JACKIEWSHI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry for late reply.
I tried but it failed. It said setup has detected a newer version of internet explorer already installed on this system. Setup cannot continue.

JACKIEWSHI

JACKIEWSHI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
My Dell window xp disk works for the repair procedure. However, I think I screw up the steps.

Everything went fine at the beginning, then after I completed the repair, the system will restart again and I forget to change the boot section to normal. Then it went to the windows setup again. After the setup loading all the setup loaded all files, I choose F3 to quit the setup. Then this time I change the boot to normal. However, a reinstall window screen show up and I'm worry that if I reinstall the window I will lose all the data. So I just turn the computer off and restart again.

This time I try the repair procedure again and remember to return the boot to normal,however, window doesn't work. After the window screen show up, it said the setup is being restarted. Then it just restart itself again and again.

:tazz:

It's that the only choose now I have is to reinstall the window?

Jackie

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ugh,
at any time, do you see a menu giving you the option to start WINDOWS SETUP or WINDOWS ?

It will be a black and white menu with a 30 second countdown.

Advertisements

JACKIEWSHI

JACKIEWSHI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
After the reboot and reboot happened, I did a repair procedure again and after I hit R to repair the window, it tell me that

Setup has already attempted to upgrade the following windows installations.
C:/windows "microsoft windows XP home edition"

Setup will try to complete the upgrade again.

To retry upgrading to windows Xp, press enter

to continue installing a fresh copy of windows xp without repairing, press ESC

to quit setup, press F3

Then I choose upgrading the xp, and just let the computer keep running.

However, it still showing me that the setup is restarting and then go back to reboot.

Does my system totally collapse?

Jackie (almost crying in the mid-night)

JACKIEWSHI

JACKIEWSHI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No there is no option to setup windows. The computer just reboot and reboot itself. Sometime will have a screen saying setup is restarting, sometime just don't have any.

If I need to reinstall window, it's there anyway I can save as much as data I have. I already backup some useful data, however, there are some application program I might not able to reinstall again.

What is the option repair with console for? Just cruise.

Also, another curise question, where are you locate? You don't have to sleep? I'm located in Hawaii and it's 1:40am so no matter which state are you in, there should be very early morning. Anyway thanks a lot for your help. I really appreicate that.

Jackie

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Michigan

now nearly 8 a.m.

Anyway, it is difficult to tell what your disk is, since OEMS like Dell customize their CDs so much.

Your programs are, I'm afraid, like gone. There is no good or easy way to move most programs from one OS to another.

Data may be recoverable....it is difficult to say where you currently stand, and given the nature of the Dell cds...

You obviously have a second machine...what OS is it?

JACKIEWSHI

JACKIEWSHI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
windows xp home edition - naptop from Dell

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you can take the drive from the non-working computer and put it in the working computer and rescue the data...would you like instructions on that,