Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro, Possibly the problem

• Please log in to reply

smw092

smw092

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
In a nutshell, my computer is retarted.

It was built ~5 months ago.
Palit Radeon HD 2600 Pro
DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2400 MHz 4600+
2Gb Ram
Win XP Pro
350W PSU
ASUS M2V MX SE mobo

The problems first began right after the installation of windows. The monitor would garble and/or lose signal reception although the computer was still on and functional (ie, it would continue to install/download/etc). The only way I could get the signal back was by restarting the machine.

After some experimentation I found that the problems happened only with hardware acceleration turned on, and only when browsing Firefox, or working with anything in Microsoft Office.

Lately, after switching the monitor and getting a new video card (the same model), the problems still exist. I have found that by turning hardware acceleration off the problems stop. I like playing computer games though, and of course hardware acceleration is necessary for them. When playing the system seems stable enough, but when exiting the game the screen garbles and such.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The issue with Hardware Acceleration would suggest there's an issue with the card. Have you tried reinstalling Windows on the new card and seeing if it behaves in the same way?
Mind you you only have 350w PSU. Bit on the low side really and its entirely possible that this is the source of your problem.

smw092

smw092

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I was curious about the psu being the issue, but was not sure if it would cause those types of issues.. No I have not tried reinstalling windows with the new card in. I am a bit reluctant to do that because the current copy I am using was free through my school, so I would have to buy my own key :S. Which do you think is more likely to be the problem?

Thanks

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Well the common factor in both setups are you're using the same PSU. Since every component in the computer is dependent on the PSU to do anything, its generally the first suspect if items are malfunctioning.

smw092

smw092

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sounds good I'll give that a try thanks Neil

smw092

smw092

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well new psu didn't do it... and I'm absolutely positive that this one has enough power... http://www.ocztechno...am_power_supply

Any other suggestions? Or should I just get a new windows key and try a fresh install?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Fresh installs solve 99% of all computer problems. Usually because the problem is Windows in the first place :)
Can't hurt to try it.

smw092

smw092

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok I'll give it a go. Thanks again Neil