Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help! Unable to delete file from thumb drive!

• Please log in to reply

ah_hup

ah_hup

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
pls help me. right now i have a few files that cannot be opened or deleted from my thumb drive and they are occupying 4 gig of space! i tried to manually delete them or copy/pasting them to desktop, but there's this error prompt that always say "Cannot move file, unable to read from source or disk" are there any methods to delete them?

Advertisements

matt.

matt.

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Sorry not like a member or anything but im curious... Any permissions set on ur account?
you should be alloud to delete files from ur thumbdrive, what does it say when u just go into ur tuhumbdrive from MyComputer click on the file and press delete?

Edited by matt., 04 June 2008 - 01:30 AM.

ah_hup

ah_hup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
alright i logged in as administrator and tried to delete the files, it still gives the same error. and the file names are in some weird languages. "Unable to delete file. Cannot read from source or disk" is the message when i go to My Computer->Thumbdrive to delete those files. i right-clicked those files from the folder and it states not more than 1MB. but when i right click the folder tt stores the files, it states 4 gig. what is wrong? is it a virus?

matt.

matt.

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
no hidden files? Folder>Veiw>Show Hidden Files
are u also sure that you have the right directory to your thumbdrive because ivehad a thumbdrive before that registered twice one as E: and another one as F:...

if you have no other important files on ur thumbdrive format it? right click it and go format...
if this doesn't help sorry i couldn't assist you and u'llhave to wait until a g2g moderator comes along to help u, probz delete this post and create another one to get more attention..
try switching usb ports...

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
TRY

MoveOnBoot description

Allows you to copy, moves or delete files on the next system boot
MoveOnBoot allows you to copy, moves or delete files on the next system boot. This comes in very handy, if you need to replace or delete files which are locked by other applications, loaded into memory or cannot be changed until next system boot.

You could manually enter a line to the wininit files, but using MoveOnBoot is much simpler, since the program can be integrated into shell - it creates the "Copy/Move/Delete on boot" context menu item.

Free from

http://www.softpedia...oveOnBoot.shtml

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would just copy the files you want to save off the thumb drive onto your hard drive and then format the thumbdrive. That will definitely remove the files. Then just copy back the files onto the thumbdrive that you backed up earlier.