Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Serious Issues with XP

• Please log in to reply

demeggy

demeggy

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Lo all,

I've just managed to getmy PC malware/trojan free courtesy of Mike at the Malware removal forum, so if anyone could helpme tidy up broken and loose ends to get my PC back on track, that'd be massively appreciated :)

To recap;

My PC became incredibly infected, to the point of the following issues with XP Pro (SP1);

- Cant copy/paste
- Startbar was missing
- RPC Server constantly unavailable
- Can't do a system restore
- Cant load Windows Media Player
- Soundcard's been uninstalled and won't reinstall
- Various programs don't run
- Search/Help doesn't run
- Most Importantly; the startup time is a lot longer than normal.

Also, it tries to boot up a non-existant installation CD of Windows which isn't even in my CD Drive at startup.

If anyone could help me fix this, I'd be hugely thankful.

Link to Resolved Malware Thread; http://www.geekstogo...an-t199718.html

Cheers

:)

Advertisements

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Hmm weird, I would run your Windows XP cd and do a repair(theres a guide to doing that on this site). And Im guessing your boot sequence has cd first so its trying to find an OS there then moving onto your hard drive.

demeggy

demeggy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Already tried that, it won't repair for some reason. It wont repair at boot-time either via the recovery console. I get a boot volume error or some such :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Format the disk and start afresh. Your windows installation is badly corrupted and I think it's a waste of time if repair didn't fix it. If you do that, backup your data first and scan it thoroughly for malware (I know you have been to the malware forum, but still). When finished, install only an antivirus and download from Microsoft SP-3 and latter updates. Disconnect your modem/router and disable your antivirus before installing the updates. Only after finishing with the updates continue with your other installations.

demeggy

demeggy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Yeah? Bugger :) So the boot volume error doesnt have anything to do with my HD?