Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acrobat

• Please log in to reply

cigos

cigos

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Morning Folks,
Recently when I am searcing, usually with Mozilla Firefox, I am unable to activate a site and a small dialog box appears saying,'Cannot launch Acrobat.' In my advanced years I feel the need to experiment and I may have unwittingly interfered with something. I believe PDF may be involved but I don't understand that yet.
Would appreciate any help. Cigos

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Do you have Acrobat installed? If not, pick up the needed plug-ins for Firefox at Mozilla's Plug-In page.

If you do have Acrobat installed, Firefox may not know what to do with the PDF file. Go to Tools>Options and select Content tab. At the bottom is a button to allow you to select the program Firefox uses to launch the program to open the PDF file.

If you wish to use the latest Adobe Reader, then Adobe Reader 9 is out.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 04 June 2008 - 11:06 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Do you have Acrobat installed? If not, pick up the needed plug-ins for Firefox at Mozilla's Plug-In page.

If you do have Acrobat installed, Firefox may not know what to do with the PDF file. Go to Tools>Options and select Content tab. At the bottom is a button to allow you to select the program Firefox uses to launch the program to open the PDF file.

Ron

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Ron

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Ron

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Ron

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I'm not showing any and trying to see where the others are to delete/edit. Sorry about that.

Give up. Can't delete my extra posts or get to them.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 04 June 2008 - 11:14 AM.

cigos

cigos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Thanks Chaps,
It seemed best to uninstall and reinstall Adobe Acrobat and the problems were solved. I keep all the replies provided for future reference and appreciate them all. Major, I would rather have four than none!

Kind Regards, Cigos

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Apparentlt GTG has changed the way posts are presented while I was trying to post at the time. I know I haven't made changes to my Board Options, yet the posts are now showing as links at the bottom of my window which was out of sight at the time. I've had the server hang on me before and wound up with multiple posts.

I'm suppose to be able to delete my posts, but that function seems to be showing, but disabled.

Glad you got your problem solved. I just thought you might like to install Adobe Reader 8 for Firefox. Would have mention the delete/reinstall but Acrobat is kinda old to me.

Ron

cigos

cigos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I take your point, Major. Are there any advantages to Adobe Reader 8 over Acrobat? I'm always willing to learn.

Cigos

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Reader 8 just has a lot more going for it than Acrobat, but, if all you ever do is open PDF files to read, you don't need it.

Ron