Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fake svchost.exe in system32\drivers directory [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

AnnJS

AnnJS

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Yesterday when I clicked onto a website, ZoneAlarm suddenly popped up and asked if I wanted to give svchost.exe access to the internet. I denied it, disconnected from the internet, and ran a cleanup tool to empty temp files and such. But it seems like the damage was already done; as svchost.exe kept asking for access, and the next time I booted up my computer ZoneAlarm couldn't start propely (it seems to be working fine now though, but I can't say for sure).

Looking around it seems like the fake svchost.exe is located in the C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers directory -- the file was created at the same time the problems began. I downloaded and ran Symantec's Blaster Worm fix tool (as I thought that was the malware in question), but that didn't find anything. Nor does AVG react to the file. So, here I am! :)

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 17:38:31, on 2008-06-04
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2800.1106)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\Program\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\Program\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Länkar
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program\Delade filer\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SVCHOST.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\svchost.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOKAL TJÄNST')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOKAL TJÄNST')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program\Delade filer\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program\Delade filer\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\Program\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky...can_unicode.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1122684707296
O16 - DPF: {67DABFBF-D0AB-41FA-9C46-CC0F21721616} - http://go.divx.com/p...owserPlugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E5A37BF-FD42-463A-877C-4EB7002E68AE} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.5) - http://housecall65.t...ivex/hcImpl.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program\Delade filer\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
O23 - Service: Indexing Service (CiSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
End of file - 4829 bytes

Advertisements

IndiGenus

IndiGenus

Anti-Malware Buddha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
Hi AnnJS and welcome to the forums.

My name is Dave. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. HijackThis logs can sometimes take a while to research so please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:
  • I will working be on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
  • Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
  • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • I recommend you make a backup of any data that you have created, such as documents, pictures, music, ect... before we begin the fix.

Good job on your diagnosis of the issue. You're right on. Let's see if we can eliminate it...

Please download SDFix and save it to your Desktop.

You should print out these instructions, or copy them to a NotePad file for reading while in Safe Mode, because you will not be able to connect to the Internet to read from this site.

Double click on SDFix.exe. It should automatically extract a folder called SDFix to your system drive (usually C:\). Please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :
  • Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu with options should appear;
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press "Enter".
  • Choose your usual account.
  • Open the SDFix folder and double click on RunThis.bat to start the script.
  • Type Y and press Enter to begin the script.
  • It will start cleaning your PC and then prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
  • Press any key to restart the PC.
  • Your system will take longer than normal to restart as the fixtool will be removing files.
  • When the desktop loads the Fixtool will complete the removal and display Finished.
  • Press any key to end the script and to load your desktop icons.
  • A text file should automatically open, so please copy the contents and post them here. We also need you to post a new HijackThis log

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hi there Dave, thank you for taking the time to help me out! :)

Here is the SDFix report:

SDFix: Version 1.189
Run by Annette on 2008-06-07 at 15:56

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Running From: C:\SDFix

Checking Services :

Restoring Windows Registry Values
Restoring Windows Default Hosts File

Rebooting

Checking Files :

Trojan Files Found:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\TFTP1924 - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TFTP2880 - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\1.bat - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\bling.exe - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\svchost.exe - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winscntrl.exe - Deleted

Removing Temp Files

ADS Check :

Final Check :

catchme 0.3.1361.2 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2008-06-07 16:05:53
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden services & system hive ...

scanning hidden registry entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden processes: 0
hidden services: 0
hidden files: 0

Remaining Services :

Authorized Application Key Export:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\authorizedapplications\list]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\domainprofile\authorizedapplications\list]

Remaining Files :

File Backups: - C:\SDFix\backups\backups.zip

Files with Hidden Attributes :

Mon 30 Oct 2006 12,208 A.SH. --- "C:\WINDOWS\system32\KGyGaAvL.sys"
Sat 13 Nov 2004 37,376 ...H. --- "C:\Program\Delade filer\Adobe\ESD\DLMCleanup.exe"

Finished!

...Seems like there were quite a few bad files in there :)

And here's the new HijackThis log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 16:27:33, on 2008-06-07
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2800.1106)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\Program\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\Program\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Länkar
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program\Delade filer\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOKAL TJÄNST')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOKAL TJÄNST')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program\Delade filer\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program\Delade filer\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\Program\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky...can_unicode.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1122684707296
O16 - DPF: {67DABFBF-D0AB-41FA-9C46-CC0F21721616} - http://go.divx.com/p...owserPlugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E5A37BF-FD42-463A-877C-4EB7002E68AE} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.5) - http://housecall65.t...ivex/hcImpl.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program\Delade filer\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\Program\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
O23 - Service: Indexing Service (CiSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
End of file - 4842 bytes

IndiGenus

IndiGenus

Anti-Malware Buddha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
As usual SDFix did nice work, hopefully it's running better. Let's do some more scans.

Use ATF Cleaner to remove temp files,
cookies, cache, ect...

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here or Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and Paste the entire report in your next reply.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner

You need to use Internet Explorer for this scan.

Click on Kaspersky Online Scanner and click Accept

You will be prompted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
  • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
  • Now click on Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
    • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
    Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
    • Scan Options:
    Scan Archives
    Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Now under select a target to scan:Select My Computer
  • This will program will start and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
    • Now click on the Save as Text button:
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.

Post a new Hijackthis log also and let me know how it's running.

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Yup, it seems to be just fine from what I can tell! The fake svchost.exe isn't asking for access or anything anymore, so it must be well and truly gone :)

Here is the first log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.15
Database version: 839

01:22:09 2008-06-08
mbam-log-6-8-2008 (01-22-09).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 41848
Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 26 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{00000162-9980-0010-8000-00aa00389b71} (Rogue.WinAntivirus) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

The Kaspersky scan is currently running, but from experience I know that it usually takes a very long time... so I thought I'd post this meanwhile! I'll return with the results and a new HijackThis log as soon as I can :)

IndiGenus

IndiGenus

Anti-Malware Buddha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
How are you making out here? Still need help?

Please let me know,
Dave

IndiGenus

IndiGenus

Anti-Malware Buddha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.