Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb insertion crashes laptop

• Please log in to reply

getRand0m

getRand0m

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
:) this one really stumps me. the computer is acer aspire 3000 series laptop (3030CL i think), w/ AMD sempron 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM, onboard shared video, xp home basic.

recently broke out the recovery discs (once again) after discovering a trojan on my system. based on where it was found i knew i had had it a while, so i went the scorched earth instead of disinfection route. anyhow, since this reinstall of windows, i can no longer plug in usb devices on the fly. i get a BSOD (0x07F i think) whenever i do so. it will reboot just fine and recognize all usb devices showing them in the itemized bios, and i can unplug/replug devices that were in at startup without crashing (into the same slot only), but any new device inserted causes bsod/reboot.

what the heck could be happening? i took a couple days and multiple restarts for all the windows updates and installing my most basic programs like firefox and vlc back onto the computer from clean installers on my external storage. but i am wondering if windows missed some critical update where you can hotplug usb's. i don't see what else might be causing this. pretty sure i'm not malwared, since i just reinstalled windows three days ago. and i've only installed a small handful of programs, and am not doing anything i wasn't already doing before when there were no usb problems, with the exception of using thunderbird. i had it installed but not configured prior to the factory restore.

i searched the site for keywords like usb/crash/insert/bsod but didn't see anything. any ideas/links? thanks guys!

-getRand0m

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point
and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG

You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
1)Filename : fix.reg

2)Save as type: all files
3)Encoding: ANSI

If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be
fixcd.reg.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------

REGEDIT4
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Environment]"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.

Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished.
Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse...plug in PS/2 style keyboard and mouse

getRand0m

getRand0m

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
worst news ever. was following the directions, getting along just fine. made and merged the reg file, went in and uninstalled all the usb controllers. moved up to disk drives and see only one entry, a long alphanum name and the (0) apparently the identifier. seems like system disk but trying to make sure, i click it. no details appear so i click the "populate" button hoping the settings of the drive will appear.

nope, i get the same BSOD as before and reboot. on reboot, all my usb controllers get recognized, and i crash again. so my computer is stuck in a reboot loop now. best maybe just to fresh install windows again, or is there a way i can still salvage it via safe mode or something? i'm writing on a 7" eeepc now, because i can't get in and do anything on my acer that is having the troubles (obviously).

i'm thinking i have to reformat again, but it took me two plus days just to get an apparently incomplete setup established. darn it. must say the eeepc's factory restore is a stroke of brilliance. if i screw up when i'm customizing something, one button and a few seconds put everything back to pristine. but then i still have to start over customizing.

i guess full drive imaging and bootable image restoration is the way to go, right? looking to get on that avenue as well, especially for this linux i need it before i do a major possible corruptive operation and it's ultramobile and lacks a cd drive :).

one thing is always leading to another, isn't it eh?

cheers for any more help anyone and thanks for that initial and thorough response rck!
-getRand0m

FranDavey

FranDavey

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi getRand0m,

Do you have a driver disk that came with your laptop? If so, you could try re-installing the USB drivers. Another thing to check might be in Device Manager, find your USB ports and see if it will let you update the drivers from there. Also, look on the Acer website for USB drivers for your model.

[ETA] This would be after you get the system restored.

Edited by FranDavey, 05 June 2008 - 09:45 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
boot into safe mode and use the restore point you made...
also try installing the chipset drivers...get them from the manufactures website
nojoy..
look in the bios and set it to default or safe sttings...usually F5 but read the screen to be sure

getRand0m

getRand0m

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
thanks guys for the concise and direct responses. unfortunately i couldn't fix it. i was going to just deal with a reboot every time i wanted to use usb, but then it quit even recognizing my mouse at bootup, and i believe even bsod'd me when i inserted a cd. so i said to [bleep] with it and reinstalled windows again. running ship-shape once more, gotta do something about this ram though. but given the state of things i'd kind of like to move into a new machine than try to hold out patching this 5-year-old beast.

PROBLEM RESOLVED
via factory restore, but meh
thanks again guys!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
A ghost image would be good when all is running correct.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

A ghost image would be good when all is running correct.

yes I have had this same debate many many times over the years..I can only tell you MY PERSONAL experiences with it.
some people swear by it...some like me swear at it...

Edited by happyrck, 08 June 2008 - 08:37 AM.