Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Dell Inspiron 530S with Vista Home Premium

• Please log in to reply

dlbryson

dlbryson

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Just recently switched from Win98SE so have a lot to learn. I've read that Avast is a good free virus protection program so I downloaded it. My Dell came with McAfee, but I would rather not have to pay for protection. It frequently pops up wanting me to register but I keep putting it off until I can get some information. Is it safe with only Avast to remove McAfee? Can someone tell me if I need to download/purchase anything else for malware, etc. or firewall? I had AVG and Zone Alarm on the other computer and deleted all internet and temporary files daily before shutting down. I've had malware and got help from GTG, but it wasn't fun and the experience left me VERY paranoid. I appreciate any info...Geeks are great!

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
uninstall McAfee, it's probably only a trial version anyway. I highly recommend avast. You only need to run ONE anti virus. Zone alarm continues to be one of the better firewalls to use.

dlbryson

dlbryson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
THX much starjax!! Just a couple more questions if you have the time and don't mind.

Do you prefer ZA over Comodo firewall?

Second, I have an HP all-in-one that was used with my old system. Do you have any idea whether or not if I get a USB converter cable if the printer would be compatible with Vista? It is an Officejet T45. No one I've talked to seems to know... if I try to install the software without connecting the printer, will I be able to find out?

Thank you so much for your time! :)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I'm sorry, your hp all in one will not work with your new pc

We are sorry to inform you that there will be no Windows Vista support available for your HP product. Therefore your product will not work with Windows Vista.
The majority of HP products not supported in Windows Vista are beyond seven years old.
If you are using the Windows Vista operating system on your computer, please consider upgrading to a newer HP product that is supported on Windows Vista. HP has numerous products on the market that support Windows Vista.

both firewalls are good. ZoneAlarm is easier to setup and use.

dlbryson

dlbryson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks again, starjax. I will get a new printer and follow your recommendations. It's great knowing G2G is there to answer questions and give assistance. Hopefully, I'll be able to find all the answers needed by searching this site.