Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nothing on monitor

• Please log in to reply

Area 51

Area 51

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I have an eMachine W3503 with XP Media Center Edition 2005. I left it on for a few hours and when I came back there was nothing on the monitor. It was working fine when I left. I plugged the monitor into another computer and it works. I shut it off and then tried it again and it still will not show anything. I shut it off with the power cord unplugged for a hour and then restarted it. It showed the big e and the menu options but then went black again, it never has showed that again since. I have restarted it several times using different monitors and still the same black screen.

Advertisements

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
It has onboard graphics, ATi 200.

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I left it unplugged all night and tried it again, still black screen. I didn't mention earlier but the CD/DVD drive continues to try and run and if I leave it on for however long it continues to do that. Any suggestions?

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
It's a regular black screen. The monitor button stays orange, I have tried it on 2 different ones with the same result.

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
But shouldn't I still be able to see the Option Menu to get to the BIOS?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You stated that your DVD/CD-ROM drive continues to be active throughout the entire process when your computer is turned on. That being said, try disconnecting both the IDE ribbon cable and the power (4-pin molex) plug from it, and then try and boot up the computer.

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Still nothing.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
eMachines are notorious for their motherboards going bad. Hate to say it but you are better off getting a new machine, which isn't an eMachine. At my old job, we got about 5-10 of those in a week with the same problem. Any kind of power surge will render them useless since they are made with very bad parts, hence why they are so cheap.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Have you tried using different cables for the monitor?

The monitor worked fine on another computer as stated in the initial post.

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I originally had it on a switch to run 2 computers, so I thought maybe my switch went bad so I got another monitor that I have and tried it. My other computer still works fine on the switch so I put another computer on the same lines from the switch and it works too.

Edited by Area 51, 05 June 2008 - 06:09 PM.