Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice on this Build?

• Please log in to reply

Wararchon

Wararchon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Here is my build for a ~$1000 gaming rig.

Ram- Corsair 2x2GB XMS2 DDR2
Processor- Core 2 Duo E8400
Motherboard- ABIT IP35 Pro LGA775 ATX motherboard
Video Card-EVGA GeForce 8800GT or Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 512MB
HDD- Seagate Barracuda 250GB
PSU- OCZ 700w ATX12v
Case- Antec 900
Vista Home Premium
Artic Cooling VGA and CPU cooler
Pioneer DVD drive

Question: The two VGAs are PCI Express 2.0, will that work with the motherboard?
And also, the motherboard's memory standard is DDR2 800, does that mean DDR2 667 or 1066 won't work with it?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, welcome to Geeks to Go!

The build looks nice. :)

I would suggest the 8800GT graphics card over the HD 3870.

Answers:
1. Yes, it is backwards-compatible.
2. If the motherboard's memory standard is DDR2 800MHz, then 667MHz will work, but 1066MHz won't. Just get 800MHz.

Cheers

Troy

Wararchon

Wararchon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah, i found out that the P35 chipset can support PCI EXPRESS 2.0, but i have another question. Would it be worth it to spend a little more money to buy a GIGABYTE GA-EP35C motherboard that can support both DDR2 and DDR3?

Edited by Wararchon, 05 June 2008 - 07:16 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Nope. DDR2 is a much better value at this point in time. You will not notice a performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3, other than in synthetic benchmarks. By the time DDR3 becomes more economical and better performing, you will probably be looking to upgrade your motherboard anyways. Plus, it only has 2 DDR3 slots, so once you will really want DDR3, you will be very limited in the amount you can have.

Edited by stettybet0, 05 June 2008 - 08:18 PM.