Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP SP2 logs user in and then right off

• Please log in to reply

hwg

hwg

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi I am really despersate now! Here is my problem...

I have Windows XP media edition SP2. I built my own machine and installed the software directly from MS (so there was no disk). The machine boots, then goes into the windows screen and asks to click on the user. When I click on myself (or admin for that matter), it says it is loading my personal settings and I see my background, but then it instantly logs me off and puts me back on the "click on user" screen. It will continue to do this viscious circle if I continue to click on any user.

Here is what I have done. I recently joined this site that helps one create presentations (it is a montly paid site). In order for these "java" scripts (which do the presentations) to run, it requires IE - I typicall try to avoid MS products and use Firefox or netscape, but this only works on IE. So I started using IE - and it would constantly crash. Then on reboot, it would work for a while and crash (comes up with that window that asks to send error to MS), so I figured that I would download the latest version of IE 7. It fixed the problem only for an hour, then it would crash ie and all other MS apps. The next day (today), my machine is in the mode described above. I have tried Hirens 9.0 on it and the only thing it came up with is "KILLCMOS" as a virus, but it wouldn't delete it. When I did a search on KillCMOS it stated that virsus sw often mistaken that as maleware or a virus. I am thinking that somehow the download of IE 7 has a BIG part of my problem. I was slow and having problems when i started with MS - but am dead with IE7.

If anyone could PLEASE help me, I would be SOOOO happy! I can't do anything without my pc and I am taking a remote, online course in Dreamweaver on Friday night - so I need my pc!
Thank you!
hwg

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hi there hwg

Please read my post here and see if that helps :)

If you require any more assistance please let us know

Regards

hwg

hwg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thank you Wizzy for your response. Unfortunately, I get the same error in Safe Mode - I forgot to mention that. I am unable to boo my machine beyond the "user" start up screen under all conditions (safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc...). Further, it will not let me do a system restore within the safe mode menu - this is why I found it quite strange and don't really know what else to do.

If you have any other suggestions, I'd be hapy to try them!
Thanks!
hwg

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello hwg and thanks for your reply.

This is my second from last resort but it should sort out all problems with your user account, please take a look at this post and try that, again read my post.

Like I said in that post if you get asked to create a new account don't as you will lose all your data and thats what we don't want.

Regards

hwg

hwg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well, part of my problem is that I do not have a Windows CD - I got it directly from MSN and do have my legal license # or key, but no cd.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello hwg thanks for your reply.

Since you don't have a cd I can only try a few other things my-self.

Try to boot up the pc and keep pressing F8 and select last known good configuration I know you have already tried this once but its worth a second go :)

Another thing you can try if it will let you is boot up the pc and keep pressing F8 and select safemode with command prompt, if it loads in and sticks on the command prompt type in the following and press enter

control userpasswords

This will bring up the user accounts screen where you can create a new account.

Let us know how you get along.

Regards