Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Update

• Please log in to reply

woodworks

woodworks

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
It says I have updates to install. I try to install them (actually one at this time), but it won't install it.
It comes back with a notice that says that some updates were not installed. It is trying to install microsoft windows 3.1. When I shut down, it says it will install updates and then turn off computer, but it never does. I end up having to hit reset button and then turn it off. I have went to update website and can't find anything on this particular problem. I did the error code and read through everything I could, but it doesn't seem to have my exact or even close problem.

The actuall error says the following:

Some updates could not be installed

The following updates were not installed
Microsoft windows installer 3.1

So, I need someone who knows a bit more then me (which isn't say too much).

So any and all help will be well appreciated.

It's after nine pm, so I'll check back tomorrow for any answers.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hi there woodworks and welcome to Geeks To Go

I have the same problem but I would like you to try something for me, I have yet to do this (shame I know) but its worth ago and will rule out any possible settings on your computer.

Please reboot your computer and as it starts to boot up again press F8 and you will be given alot of options, please select safemode with Networking and let your system to continue to boot up and then try to get the updates.

Regards

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first go here and get windows installer 3.1...install it and then try to get any updates you need...
no joy...
try this..
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....click OK..to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

no joy...

click on Start.... Run..... type in..services.msc ....click OK..

Automatic Updates ...Windows XP update won't function without this service. If you use Windows Update

server, you must have this service set to automatic. This does not mean that Automatic Updates are

turned on. This is just the base service. ...set it to Automatic

Background Intelligent Transfer ...Enables data transfer from HTTP1.1 servers. Windows Update website

may refuse to function if this is disabled...set it to Automatic

Cryptographic Services Used to check certifications of Windows drivers. If you have this service

disabled, you will end up getting frustrating amounts of uncertified driver warnings and Windows Update

may refuse to launch. set to it Automatic

reboot

no joy...
try this...
OPEN NOTEPAD...copy and paste the text between the lines ...
click on file...then...save as.. on the left side click on desktop...then in the file name box type in updates fix.bat then in the box below that save as type..all files...then click save...you should see a new icon on your desktop ...double click it to run it..then try updating windows again

===================COPY BETWEEN THE LINES=========

regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll

======================================

Edited by happyrck, 04 June 2008 - 09:15 PM.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
happyrck:

Thank you for responding. I tried to do what you said. I need to let you know, I am NOT computer savvy. I went there and tried to run the install and it came back with access denied. As I was clicking the buttons to exit the different errors came up and the last one said
KB893803v2
Installation didnot complete
WI3.1 has been partially updated and may not work properly.

Since I'm an idiot about this stuff, I'm not sure if I am supposed to continue on with the rest of it or if it won't work because of the partial install.

Couple of other questions: I'm don't understad what you mean by TCP/IP stack repair options and under that you say 'try this'. Is that if the first doesn't work (in which case it didn't), or is that in addition to?
Later down you again say 'try this'. I don't know if I am supposed to do all of these steps, or if they are in case they don't work in each case.

I'm sorry for my stupidity, but I am petrified of getting in somewhere and really screwing up something that can't be fixed. I do have your instructions printed out and read to try and attempt this, so when you are able to get back with me, I am going to try and follow them.
And again, thank you for the help.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Thank you for your reply woodworks and cheers happyrck for your explantion :)

happyrck I would like you if you could to confirm my explanation of tcp/ip stacks, woodworks everytime you go on the internet you obtain what is called an ip address, if you use dhcp this may change from time to time and you may get different ip address so I think what happens is these ip address stack up and could prevent you getting internet access, (logically thats what it sounds like to me) however you can get the internet as you are on here but if you could follow happyrck's directions for resetting these this will help you :)

I do know of a nice little tool that could do this for you and only requires to clicks of a button :) its called TCP/IP repair and can be downloaded from here please only download the tcp/ip repair you only need this :) I have used this tool many of times and can safely say this will do the job for you and it is as painless as possible :)

When downloaded just double click the file and proceed with the installation :) when you come to additional icon tick the box that says create a desktop icon and then continue the installation. Once installed please click the desktop icon that appears :(

Regards

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you must be logged on with administrator rights when doing these fix's...
go to add/ remove programs in the control panel...uninstall windows installer 3.1...
then download AND SAVE a fresh copy of installer 3.1...
after its been saved to your computer...run it...(that means install it)...then try getting the updates...
if after installing it you still can't get the updates..then start down me previous list and try updating after each set of instructions
no joy means the fix did not help...so try the next one on the list...you do not have to do the whole list if the last thing you tried allowed you to get the updates..

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok guys.
First again, thank you for the help. I cannot say that enough. I appreciate the time and effort you are putting into this for me.

Now with that being said... Why is it that I am doing the tcp/ip thing? I have never and am not having problems with accessing the internet. Never have had a problem. One of the reasons I'm asking is because I hate to d/l anything I don't need. I have so much crap already on here that I just don't want more. That is NOT to say I am railing against your instructions. If you say I need it, I will get it. Your the boss here and I know my place.

Second. I figured out about the no joy. At first I thought maybe you were just rubbing it in that I wasn't having fun. Gee, what could be more fun then this, right?

Ok, enough with the funnies.

I have gone through with all of your instructions fron the beginning. I have never seen WI 3.1 in my add/remove programs. I have tried several times to d/l and install it. It comes up with a box that says Access Denied. I see you say I need admin rights, I have that, but how do I make it so it knows who I am, or does it matter at this point since I'm just trying to install WI?

I have had problems in the past with having people help me and they tell me to do something and I ask a question. I am asking because I want to learn from all this. So please don't be offended if and when I ask why you are having me do something. It is the only way I know how to learn and you guys seem to know it.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
From wizzy2k5..."if you could follow happyrck's directions for resetting these this will help you".

I'm sorry, I didn't see any instructions on how to reset the tcp/ip from happyrck. I saw where to d/l and install the option from you wizzy.

Did I miss something? Or is there anothere way to reset these without installing a program to do it?

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello woodworks and thank you for your reply.

quote from happyrck

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....click OK..to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

This is what needs to be done to reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults so to do this the way happyrck has mentioned I will quote these in order they need to be done

click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....click OK

next type this into the black screen that will appear

netsh winsock reset catalog

Then you will need to restart your machine :)

In regards to any other way this unfortunatly is a no :) if you find happyrck's way a little complicated please download the tool I suggested which is here

The reason why I think happyrck is saying this is although you can get onto the internet there maybe problems elsewhere and these methods could fix this problem for you :)

I will move onto another quote from happyrck

you must be logged on with administrator rights when doing these fix's...
go to add/ remove programs in the control panel...uninstall windows installer 3.1...
then download AND SAVE a fresh copy of installer 3.1...

Is your account an administrator? to do this fix your account will need administrator rights, to do this I reccomend you do the following

Restart your computer
As it is booting up keep pressing F8
when you see a screen with loads of options please highlight safe mode and press enter
When this has loaded up you will see either 2 or 3 account (your account, guest account if on and also one called Administrator)
Select Administrator and log on

Then follow happyrck's directions :) and as i mentioned above if you find happyrck's way a little complicated I would download and install the software I reccomended which is called TCP/IP Repair and repair the TCP/IP and WINSOCK :)

Regards

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
LOL

Ok, slow down and stop the traffic for a minute!!!

Thanks for the step by step play. I will do that as soon as I am through posting.
I did the winsock thing and as of yet not rebooted.

I need to know something first. I've already stated I have looked and not found WI in add/remove, so I can NOT remove it. I have aslo stated that I HAVE tried to INSTALL it and it will not install. BUT wait!!! I have NOT tried to install it while in safe mode. I will at this time try and do so.
As far as finding his way difficult.... NOT so, I am asking questions and I want answers. If in the future I have this problem, I would like to know that you guys gave me the information I needed to fix it on my own.

Now just one question...
You mentioned earlier that you wanted me to boot up in safe mode with networking and this time you said safe mode.
I have the WI 3.1 file from earlier today and would like to know if I am ok to install that one, or would you like me to go get another one? And if yes to getting another one, do you want me to boot up in safe mode networking?
Remember, I am asking so that I don't screw things up and really make a mess of things.

Thanks again

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello woodworks and thank you for your reply.

I will now answer all questions for you :)

I have the WI 3.1 file from earlier today and would like to know if I am ok to install that one, or would you like me to go get another one? And if yes to getting another one, do you want me to boot up in safe mode networking?

You should be fine to use the windows installer 3.1 you downloaded earlier today and don't boot up with safemode with networking you can install windows installer 3.1 without doing that :) the reason I asked you to boot up with safemode with networking is because safemode stops most services but adds networking support, all I wanted you to do was to boot up with safemode with networking to see if you could update from there and if you could that would mean a problem would lie elsewhere.

So here is what I would like you to do, step by step

• Boot up in safemode with networking and see if you can get the updates you need, if not let us know
  • After you have tried that boot up in safemode only and when you come to the login screen select administrator then un-install windows installer then re-install it, if windows installer does not appear in the list it means it is not installed (as you maybe aware) then that means you will need to install it

I understand that this can be confusing and we will do our best to help you as best as we can and if you get anymore questions please feel free to ask us and we will be more than willing to help you.

Regards

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, I follow you without any problems.

But I did remember something I want to make you aware of.

I started out having a problem with malware and it shut down my computer and woudn't let it boot up. I had to install windows on a different drive and boot up from there and keep doing malware sweeps, virus sweeps and all that before I was able to get the C drive windows to work again. That is when I came on this problem with the update.

Just now when I did the winsock thing, I rebooted and it said it was going to install 11 updates. I don't know what there were or if it did or not. It still would not shut down. I had to hit the reset button. I remembered at that time that I have to manually choose which system I want to boot from. It has to be booted from the second os in order to be on the C drive. The problem is, is that, that choice is AFTER where I would hit F8. I am wondering if it will then cause it to boot up on the wrong drive? I hope I am making myself clear.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Just now when I did the winsock thing, I rebooted and it said it was going to install 11 updates. I don't know what there were or if it did or not. It still would not shut down. I had to hit the reset button. I remembered at that time that I have to manually choose which system I want to boot from. It has to be booted from the second os in order to be on the C drive. The problem is, is that, that choice is AFTER where I would hit F8. I am wondering if it will then cause it to boot up on the wrong drive? I hope I am making myself clear.

Thanks for your reply woodworks

When you first turn on the pc and it begins to load up its at that point you would press F8 when you have choosen the right mode it should ask you which one you would like to boot off.

So to clarify you would hit F8 before loading your system. Here are some instructions for you

• Start up your computer
  • Keep pressing F8 until you see safe mode options and select the appropriate option
  • Choose which system to boot off

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 05 June 2008 - 11:24 AM.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, please ignore the above post.

Guys, thank you again for the time, effort AND the patience you are showing me.

I have done what you've asked and am going to inform you of the results.

This computer has decided that it doesn't want to co-operate with us. It seems to have taken on a mind of it's own.

The computer will not boot up in any safe mode.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Thanks for your reply woodworks

Let us know how you get along and inform us of the results I would also like to suggest a possible last resort fix :) its not a format but a repair installation, I know this may seem confusing but I will guide you though this complicated process.

Please read my post which is here and let me know if you do not understand anything and I will describe it for you :)

You will not lose any data by doing a repair installation but I reccomend that you backup most of your important data as a last and totally last resort is a format which I would rather not do :) :)

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 05 June 2008 - 11:34 AM.