Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Update

• Please log in to reply

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello woodworks and thank you for your replies

You might want to take a look here look at the first 6 :) saves me alot of typing hehe

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 05 June 2008 - 02:42 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you said this...

Just now when I did the winsock thing, I rebooted and it said it was going to install 11 updates.

that indicates windows installer did if fact get installed or you would not have seen there were any updates available..

I don't know what there were or if it did or not. It still would not shut down. I had to hit the reset button.

pretty sure windows was installing the updates AND YOU CHOSE TO RESET instead of waiting... :) :)
if you can no longer even boot into safe mode...you will have to do a repair..IMHO

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
I would like to add something here :)

The bit about windows installer being installed I agree with but I have a question I would like to ask about this bit :)

I don't know what there were or if it did or not. It still would not shut down. I had to hit the reset button.

pretty sure windows was installing the updates AND YOU CHOSE TO RESET instead of waiting...  :no: :no:

if you can no longer even boot into safe mode...you will have to do a repair..IMHO

Although they look like they are installing they can still fail which I think is what woodworks is getting :) and although I am stuck for fixes at the moment I would do a repair to fix it :)

Now i'm going to sound dumb here but what does IMHO mean haha :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry...I had to step away for a bit.

I am not understanding one thing. When you say my computer will reboot under the first option, what do I do then.

Under the first option with the procedure accepting all the commands, it should boot into windows at that point.

If you have to do the second portion of the procedure (due to access denied messages), you will perform the renaming procedure, reboot into Recovery Console, and attempt the first portion again just as described.

What this procedure does is to replace the current registry with the registry that was in use the last time the machine started successfully. The next to last "rp" file is the same as the "Last known good configuration" from Safe Mode options, but we're installing it without being in Windows.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello wannabe1

Thanks for your advice here i've had no luck either, i've tried everything I know and I still can't get my updates :) i'm going to try what you mentioned and see what I get :)

Cheers

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Hey Guys!!!!

Yea I know, you really thought you got rid of me. Well wannab1 really tried to keep me away, but it didn't happen.

So let me update you good people.

wannab1 here is what I did... I got as far as the second line in your instructions and that is when it said it couldn't find the directory.

I kept messing, and finally I got access denied. I jumped to the second phase you told me to do.

I did what you said per the instructions. When I typed in exit it came up with another line and capitalized this
CD WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Then it went and started to reboot as I think you said it would. Well now it won't boot up at all because it says it is missing CD WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.

I can't get it to boot from the cd. So I had boot up on the E drive. Well it wouldn't boot there either. Don't ask me why not. I finally got it shut down and I left it off for my diner and now I am on my E drive. When it booted up, I was bombarded with 71 updates to install. Now it's telling me I have to restart. I am going to post this and then restart and see what happens.

While I am here now, I want to ask, is there any way to do a repair from the E drive? I know it's not looking good for the home team, but I'm still hopping.

By the time I get back, maybe you guys will have some good news for me. I can at least hope, can't I?
See you in a few.

And thanks again and again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's better to fix a bad system from within or while logged on to that system. It's very difficult to manipulate the registry when you have no way to access it.

The error you received is likely a result of renaming the current system hive on that installation...and is what I would expect to happen when Windows couldn't find the file WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM because it's been renamed WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.BAK.

You need to perform the first steps again to put the earlier registry hive in it's place. With the recent history of this machine, I'm betting there will only be one rp file to choose.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
wannab1, how close are you to OH??? I could bring this to you.

I am a bit lost at this time. I have done so much that I forget what I need to do to put it back again. Would I be out of line to ask you to tell me again what to do to make it go back?

I am assuming that is what your telling me to do, right? If it's not too much to ask, please direct me from step one. Before when you mention that I will go through a few screens and it's like on the third or whatever screen, I don't remember ever seeing any screens. When I start up and boot from the cd, I have a blue screen come up and that's it. There are a bunch of things that run at the bottom of it. Finally, it comes up with the options of installing, or repairing and so forth. I press R and then it just goes to the black screen and comes up with the prompts. Is this correct??? Is that the way it's supposed to be?

I'm sure your tired of hearing this by now, but I gotta say it again, I thank you, my cats thank you, my wife thanks you (I'm out of her hair while doing this), if I had a dog, it would thank you.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm a bit of a walk from OH... :)

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console or Enter to install Windows...press the R key for Recovery Console.

You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter". Or enter your password if you have set one.

When you get to the recovery console prompt:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

This step should install the previously successful System and Software registry hives to the current registry. After you complete this, let the machine try to boot normally.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Well I don't know if I did it right or not, I couldn't print out these instructions, but I went off the old print out I have.

Everything seemed to be going well untill it was just about to bring up the sign in screen. That's when it flashed about while updating a password something about it being invalid.

It would not stay long enough for me to read it. I tried it twice and it just won't stay to where I can read it. My old eyes just won't focus that quick. It just keeps starting over and over because of the stupid password.

Other then that, I thought we had it, everything else worked fine.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We may still have it. We just need to get past the password you set.

Try logging into the Safe Mode Administrator account. If it asks you for a password, try leaving it blank the first time...if no joy, try the password you set.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, I'm going now.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
The first time it has actually started to let me start up in safe mode, and now it won't let me because of the password. It won't let me to the admin sign in. It stops and says the password is invalid.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
OK folks, here is what is going on now.

I gave up. I got on this morning and everything was ok. I had to shut down the computer and when I came back and booted up, the E drive wouldn't let me because it too said I had an invalid password.

I tried to install windows again on the E drive and I wasn't sure about it because I didn't want to take a chance and lose everything I had on D,E,F. So I figured if I were going to go to the trouble of installing, I might as well do it on the C drive. Before I had the starting up problem on the E drive, I noticed I didn't have any sound anymore. I tried to play some music and it came up with something was wrong with sound card or something else.

I had not had this problem so I thought maybe C problems were bleeding over. That is another reason I chose reinstall.

Well now it seems I don't have any sound on the C drive either.
I'm hopping you guys can help me fix it. I had a great sounding system on the computer. So if anyone can help me, please feel free to jump right in.

wannab1, thank you again for the message you sent me to fix this. I appreciate you going the extra mile, so to speak.

Everyone else, you too have been great in here. I am thourghly disappointed that I had to reinstall and not fix it. You guys had given me hope, but it just go too much for me.

So I'll be around if anyone wants to help me fix the sound. I will be d/l windows media 11 and getting it ready. I guess I have a lot of updates and different things to do, so as I said, I'll be around.

Thanks again to everyone

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to your computer manufacers website and get your chipset and sound drivers...
if you have a PCI sound card install the drivers that came with the card...
no joy...
go to windows updates and click on the custom button...after it has run click on the hardware updates on the left side of the page and get ALL the hardware updates it tells you need...after installing the updates REBOOT..