Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Something messing with my music.

• Please log in to reply

HydraZulu

HydraZulu

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have my music precisely organized, each separated into individual folders based on their artist, and then into folders based on albums, in them. I also enter in all the album, artist, track number, and names into each and every piece of my 329 music files. So you can imagine that i get really mad when i turn on my computer the next day, and everything is messed up. Songs are named different random things (either named the same as another song, as many as 10 in a row [Several different files named under the same name], or named random things that i can't imagine where they came from), the artist is changed (if the names are all identical [As above], then they will all be under the artist of the file it is masquerading as), and the album is different (either a different album in my collection, or something new entirely). One such case, that actually makes a bit more sense, is when i ripped some music off a mixed cd that i made a few years ago. I ripped it, then changed the name, artist, album, etc. through WMP, and again through the metadata editing thing in Explorer, but every time i restart WMP, it resets to a random album, with all the names of the files becoming the names of each respective song in that album. It seems completely random as to which album it picks, in any case, and half of the time it edits the actual metadata! I've done the "remove all properties" on most of my music collection, and re-named, album-ed, artist-ed, MULTIPLE TIMES, but it keeps doing it! The Zune software does it too, changing the name artist and album of my files at random to random things each time i start the Zune software, but it seems to only change the physical files each time i sync my Zune. I have the Zune Media Collection Reset tool, but that is starting to work less and less, because something is editing my actual files, so when it resets, it resets to the wrong things again. I really need help with this, as it has been a constant battle going on for almost a year, and i'm about to put something through something else. :)

Thanks

Advertisements

HydraZulu

HydraZulu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
One last thing to add. What i'm really looking for, is something to stop whatever is editing my metadata, from doing so. I don't care if i have to go and rename/artist/album every one of my 329 songs, i just want this to stop.