Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Defragmenter Being Aborted

• Please log in to reply

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Last night I tried to defrag my C: drive as part as a routine defrag but all of a sudden, halfway through analyzing, I got this message:

"Defragmentation of Local Disk (C:) has been aborted due to inconsistensies in the filesystem.
Please run CHKDSK or SCANDISK on Local Disk (C:) to repair these inconsistensies, then run Disk Defragmenter again."

I have absolutely no clue that this means, I have run CHKDSK, and it deleted a few index entries from iTunes. This has never happened before, but then again I'm not sure since I use TuneUp Drive Defrag (I bought the full version) 95% of the time, and I don't get any error messages from TuneUp...

As for system performance, I can't complain. My computer is in top-shape, but I'm just wondering how to fix this problem and/or if it's computer-life-threatening.

Thanks.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
get diskeeper lite here...

after installing it...click on the icon...close the "nag" screen...click on your c drive to select it ...then down towards the bottom ...click on defragment now...first time you use it it may take 15 to 30 minutes to complete...do it about every two weeks and it will complete in about 7 minutes...

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Alright, I installed that program, did what you said, and I got the exact same message as when I used the default Windoes defragger.

Edited by n0ng33k, 04 June 2008 - 09:29 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I have neither the time or patience to give people a detailed explanation of the reasons behind my proposed fix's for their problems...if you would rather someone else help you just let me know and I will no longer respond to any of your posts..

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I understand that you are very busy and must have a lot of things going on, but what you suggested did not work. I am not questioning your suggestions, since your computer skills are godlike compared to mine, I'm just stating that it did not fix the problem, I apologize if my last post sounded a bit "Up-in-your-face"

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You need to run scandisk to correct file system errors. Click on the start button and open the run box. Type in

scandisk C:

a prompt will come up and tell you that scandisk will be run on the next boot. OK that and then reboot the system. There will be a scandisk log which will describe any error. After that you should be able to do a defrag.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
manually run the chkdsk command to check for problems.

To do this:

Step One: Click Start, select Run

Step Two: In the box, type cmd

Step Three: Click Ok

Step Four: Run the chkdsk utility by typing in the following command: chkdsk c: /f /r

NOTE: The /f command automatically fixes any errors encountered, the /r command locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

NOTE: I am also assuming the drive you wish to check is the C: drive.

Step Five: A reboot is normally required for the chkdsk program to lock the disk and run correctly (this is typical on machines that have only one volume), so simply restart the computer and chkdsk will run automatically. When it's finished, (This process can take quite a while depending on the size of your disk, etc.), it will boot back to normal Windows.

On Rebooting the PC you will see the disk being checked

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Thank you Tyger as well as happyrck for those tips (Even though they were the same, but that means that all great minds think alike!) I will do it as soon as possible and post with the results.