Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[CISS] Continuous Ink Supply System - Do They Really Work?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I just got my first printer [Canon Pixma IP4500] and will actually be printing in bulk. I don't have much money to spend so I'd like to buy a CISS when the included ink cartridges run out.

Can anyone tell me if these systems actually work? What should I look out for when buying one? Any info would be helpful... I see them all over ebay but can't find much info on them. I don't want to ruin my printer nor do I want to buy a cheap quality CISS. Problem is I don't know how to spot a bad one.

Thanks

Posted Image

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
haven't used canon in awhile but if they are ink tanks like they use to be you should be okay though you may void the warranty if they suspect you are refilling.... If they are print cartridges ( have circuit boards/copper conection on them then you maybe asking for trouble.... seen lots of issues with refill kits and hps and some lexmarks which have print cartridges...

Buddyboy546

Buddyboy546

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am amazed that this seems to be the only "up front" discussion here around this question. Yes, they do work and exceedingly well. Avoid the ones with sponges in their system heads. Use dye based ink rather than pigment based - better to avoid clogging. They can be tricky to install, often involve cutting or breaking away bits of the casing of your printer, and almost certainly voids the warranty on the printer. But who cares, they almost give the printers away and kill you on the ink refills. I installed my CISS on an Epson for about the same cost as buying one set of ink cartridges, and I've got enough ink for about three years of unrestricted, full colour printing. Go for it! Yes, I know this thread is quite old but I bet others are looking for the same answer.