Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless not working

• Please log in to reply

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
i have an HP laptop with a switch on the front to turn off and on the wireless card. well everytime i turn on the switch it doesnt work, the light is supposed to turn blue but it stays orange. i go to network connections and the wireless connection doesnt show. it only shows the local wired connection. i have HP WIRELESS ASSISTANT that turns off and on the connection but everytime i click on it the program doesnt load up. i tried restarting my computer but the problem still continues. i dont know what else to do. i dont know if its a virus problem or what not but any help would be great. thanks!

Advertisements

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
i would but i dont know how to reinstall the driver lol. or check for updates

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
your HP laptop should have come with a driver CD with it. The drivers are in that CD.
To update a driver:
Click Start then Right Click on My Computer. Click Properties.
The System Properties window should show. Click on the Hardware tab. Then Device Manager.
The Device Manager window should show. Click on the + sign beside Network Adapters then double click on your wireless adapter. New window should show.
Go to Driver tab then click Update Driver. You can only do this on an administrator account.

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
ok i lost the cd for the drivers i believe. is there any other way to get it off the internet or something? and i tried updating my driver thru device manager but it said could not find a better match for your hardware. :)

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well..For my PC, I have to have a wireless stick (or card) in it to be connected to my internet. Let me ask you, did your card and/or stick come with a disk called something like "Wireless LAN Adapter Driver ,Utility & Documentation"?

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
to be honest, i dunno what it came with. i have no idea where the disks are. i got this comp about a year ago so i lost everything wit it. but ya my card is built into the computer. the dang thing jus wont turn on

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
When you update the driver using device manager, it's supposed to ask you if you want to get it from the Internet or somewhere along those lines. I can't really check right now since I always use a public PC with a limited account whenever I connect to the Internet. But I'm sure you have the option to get updates from the Internet.

If it says that there's not a better match or something like that, it would mean that your driver is already updated I think.

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
ya it said there is no better match and it says that its workin properly. it just wont turn on and let me connect to the internet.

stimuli

stimuli

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
This seems to be a chronic problem with HP/Compaq laptops:

http://forums.techgu...t-problems.html

http://forums.techgu...ase-help-2.html

My co-worker is currently going thru this same problem - a formerly perfectly working wifi connection has disappeared,
can't see the wireless adapter in Device Manager, can't find the Wireless account in his View Connections, clicking HP's Wireless Assistant won't bring it up. The wifi switch on the front is engaged, but the blue light is not blue, but red.

HP seems to not want to acknowledge there is a problem, but does have a bios update that seems to address it:

http://h10025.www1.h...n...689&lang=en