Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with downloading and installing automatic updates on XP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

VijayPal

VijayPal

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,
I am using windows XP professional SP1. While \i was trying to install a driver for my HP printer I was unable to do it and was taold I need to check my pc for updates and install them.So I checked my pc and there were upadtes pending. I started downloading and installing them but at the end error message came out saying: "Two components could not be installed" , updates failed. What can I do now? Please anyone have any idea? I am unable to update and install my driver also. Help would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi VijayPal! Welcome to G2G!

How many updates installed correctly? What were the names of the two updates that failed?

Fenor

VijayPal

VijayPal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Fenor!
Thank you for your reply.
I don't know how many updates there was altogether.
The names of updates that failed to install are as follow:
1) update for backgroung intelligent transfer service (BITS) 2.0 and Win HTTP 5.1 (KB842773)
2) windows genuine advantage validation tool ( KB892130)

Thank You!!

Edited by VijayPal, 05 June 2008 - 08:51 AM.

VijayPal

VijayPal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Fenor!
I don't know how many updates there was altogether.
The names of updates that failed to install are as follow:
1) update for backgroung intelligent transfer service (BITS) 2.0 and Win HTTP 5.1 (KB842773)
2) windows genuine advantage validation tool ( KB892130)

Thank You!!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When you try to install these updates, are you getting them from Automatic Updates or are you going to the actual Windows Update website and getting them that way? If you are getting them through Automatic Updates, try the following:
  • Right-click MY COMPUTER and choose PROPERTIES
  • In the new window that appears, click on the AUTOMATIC UPDATES tab.
  • Select the radio button next to Turn off Automatic Updates and click APPLY and OK.
  • Go to START-->ALL PROGRAMS-->Windows Update
  • When given the option, click on CUSTOM
  • Once the list of updates appears, leave everything checked that is checked and then click INSTALL UPDATES
  • Let the updates download and install and reboot your computer when prompted
Let me know if any of the updates fail while getting them the above-mentioned way.

Fenor

VijayPal

VijayPal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello Fenor,
But there seems to be one problem:
when I click on 'automatic updates' tab there is no option like 'Turn off automatic updates ' and there is no radio button. What do you mean by 'radio button'?
Why is that ? I am using PC and connecting through LAN connection.
Waiting for your reply.
Thank you

Edited by VijayPal, 05 June 2008 - 10:11 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

when I click on 'automatic updates' tab there is no option like 'Turn off automatic updates ' and there is no radio button. What do you mean by 'radio button'?

Posted Image

VijayPal

VijayPal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have tried to install updates exactly the way you told me but I'm afraid that still they failed to install. The same components were not installed.
What could be the reason?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try to manually download and install the BITS 2.0 and Win HTTP 5.1 from HERE.

Edited by Fenor, 05 June 2008 - 03:33 PM.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
What was the error message you recieved when attempting to update?

VijayPal

VijayPal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I will try to install the updates manually now. But my Windows is not genuine, are the problems because of this. Can I also install SP2 on this Windows and will it help?

Fawoodward,
The error message was: The following updates were not installed . "Update for backgroung intelligent transfer service (BITS) 2.0 and Win HTTP 5.1 (KB842773). Error code 0XD00E4104 windows Geniune Advantage validation tool( KB892130)"

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
The fact that your Windows is not genuine is why you are not able to install the updates. We will be unable to help you any further in this matter.

I suggest that you contact Microsoft and have them walk you through getting a valid license for your copy of Windows. They usually are very nice regarding this and will give you a good deal on purchasing a copy.

Another alternative you can do is to go and purchase an OEM copy of Windows from a store (like TigerDirect, Newegg, etc...) and then you can contact Microsoft and they will help you insert that key into your currently working installation Windows without needing to format the hard drive and reinstall Windows fresh.

I am now closing this topic. I hope you understand.

Fenor