Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

motherboard change

• Please log in to reply

tmac2488

tmac2488

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have posted questions asking if anyway to fix a mess up in the bios of my computer but nothing will work cause the computer will not boot up. So my question is could i just get a new motherboard with the same specs as the old one and get my computer back? even if i have to reinstall windows im fine with that i just want to get the computer working again.

The specs on the computer as of now: except for upgraded to 1 gb of memory before it messed up.

CPU: Intel® Celeron® D Processor 356
64-bit processor with Intel® EM64T Technology
(3.33GHz, 512KB L2 cache, 533MHz FSB)
Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic

Monitor: Includes eMachines® 15.4" Widescreen LCD
Chipset: Intel® 945G
Memory: 512MB DDR2 dual-channel capable (1 × 512MB), 533MHz (PC4200)
Expandable to 2GB
2 DDR2 Slots (Total), 1 DDR2 Slot (Available)
Hard Drive: 120GB SATA II (7200rpm, 2MB cache)
Optical Drive: DVD±RW 16x Multiformat Dual-Layer Optical Drive
Up to 8.5GB with Dual-Layer Media
Write max: 16x DVD±R, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 4x DVD+R DL, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW
Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-ROM
Media Reader: High-Performance 15-in-1 Digital Media Manager™
xD-Picture Card™, CompactFlash® I (CF), CompactFlash® II, Secure Digital™ (SD), Mini Secure Digital™ (Mini SD), Multi Media Card (MMC), Reduced Size MMC (RS-MMC), MMC Mobile, MMC Plus, Memory Stick (MS), Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick Pro®, Memory Stick Pro® Duo, SmartMedia, IBM Microdrive
Video: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Up to 224MB Shared Video Memory
PCI-Express® (PCI-E x16) slot available for upgrade
Sound: 6-channel (5.1) high-definition audio
Amplified Stereo Speakers (USB-Powered)
Communications: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)
Intel® 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Peripherals: Standard multifunction keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse
Ports/Other: 6 - USB 2.0 Ports (2 Front, 4 Rear)
1 - VGA
1 - Parallel port
1 - Serial port
2 - PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse)
3 - audio (rear): line-in/side (stereo), front/headphone (stereo), microphone
2 - audio (front): microphone, front/headphone (stereo)
1 - RJ-45 ethernet port
1 - RJ-11 modem port

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You mention an eMachines monitor, is the main computer bit an eMachines as well? Because unfortunately eMachines systems tend to only have a life span of somewhere between 18 and 36 months before the power supply malfunctions and cooks the board. So you usually end up replacing the board and the PSU together and repairing (or in extreme cases wiping) the Windows on it.

tmac2488

tmac2488

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
yes its a complete emachines system. i bought about march 07. so in your opinion what would be my best course of action

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
If its in warranty then send it for repair.

A typical solution to the common eMachines problem is to buy a new motherboard for your processor and also a new power supply. Normally the processor survives but the motherboard is well and truly toasted.

Even the dirt cheap budget PSUs and motherboards are way better than the eMachines hardware you have now. so even the cheapest options will make for a far better system performance wise. Not that I recommend you skimp on the PSU seeing as its an important part of the computer. What you replace the toasted bits with depends on what you do with the computer.

The scary thing about eMachines is that they're owned by Gateway who is itself owned by Acer, both reputable companies that sell decent machines under their own names yet continue to actively push eMachines branded systems out with power supplies that'll kill the machine in less than three years time.

Edited by Neil Jones, 05 June 2008 - 05:14 PM.

tmac2488

tmac2488

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
yeah that is truely scary. i will look into that, for the motherboard i would just need to get a board with a compatible FSB and the correct socket and a power supply as strong as the old one or more correct?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
A lot of the eMachines I've seen tend to use processors with the slowest FSB going at the lower end of the scale. It usually means you can drop it into any board going and it'll recognise it straight off. Realistically all you need is a board with the same socket type and you may be able to reuse the heatsink and fan.

As to the PSU - most of the times I've seen eMachines stick 250w in them. 250w is literally borderline for what eMachines put in the machines as standard. Add anything else and it'll put more strain on the PSU only causing it to fail a lot sooner. Look for at least 400w and it'll give you peace of mind you can actually add something without running the risk of overloading the power supply.

tmac2488

tmac2488

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
awesome lol so a fairly cheap fix. I went home last night after a 15 hour day at work and decided to fiddle with my computer a little praying that i could get it to work some how. i went back through switching out each stick of ram between each slot with no luck. For whatever reason I decided what the heck ill try and pull the cmos battery and move the jumper over. Well the battery removal didnt do anything, but when I moved the jumper over and powered on suprisingly the fans kicked on and the back off and no beeps. Computer went straight into the bios where i immediatly changed everything back to default. I have started and restarted the computer 7 or 8 times since then with no problems thankfully. its even running better with the new ram. I may go ahead and change the psu and the mobo just for the heck of it so i can get more ram and i dont have to worry about the psu goin out in the near future. any suggestions on what to get tho?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

If the system is running fine, then there's no point changing the motherboard just yet... But as Neil has mentioned, I would definitely change that PSU!

With a high-quality PSU providing clean, stable power to the system, it might last a good while longer than you think.

This Antec Earthwatts unit is a nice, efficient unit for the price. If you are able to make use of the rebates, you'll get it very cheap! I have an Antec PSU myself, they are a good choice, and definitely would be a worthy upgrade in your situation.

Cheers

Troy