Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hope Someone Can Help - Random Shut Downs!

• Please log in to reply

Coxyuk

Coxyuk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi new to the forums, found you guys on the net hoped you could help.

Hopefully you can see my pc specs from my sig!!

Ive been having this problem where my pc (which is about 2 months old now) just randomly turns off, not like a regular shutdown like someone pulled the plug! Ive checked all my temperatures because I was worried it may be over heating but ive got some pretty nifty softaware on my mother board that tells me that the temps are fine. CPU and MOBO 30 degrees constant.

The shutdowns can appear randomly when using the net or playing a game, when this happens I will try to turn on the pc and it will start up for about 2 secs then switch off again. This can happen upto 10 times then it suddenly decides to work and it will be fine.

My inital thoughts are that it might be the psu? But I dont understand how it can be working one minute then not the next, I would have thought if its broke then its broke no?

BTW I have checked everything is plugged in fine and it is.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

My inital thoughts are that it might be the psu? But I dont understand how it can be working one minute then not the next, I would have thought if its broke then its broke no?

Welcome to G2G

Apologies for the delay in responding to your problem.

Firstly, your system specs are not showing up in your sig so could you list them please.

Re. the PSU - after ruling out overheating, the next thing to suspect would be the PSU.
A PSU isn't necessarily either 100% perfect or completely broken - if it's working but supplying insufficient power or if the voltage on one of the rails is dropping below a certain level, then you may experience all sorts of strange behaviour.

It is possible (although uncommon) for random shutdowns to be caused by software or drivers but if that were the case, it shouldn't affect the systems ability to power on initially.

When you list your system specs, let us know what the PSU is as well i.e. which manufacturer & power rating in watts.